Fat shark 101 range and battery improvement possible?

Swampcrawler

So I went into the hobby shop planning to pick up an inductrix fpv package but instead went with an option I had t researched. The FatShark 101.

In some ways this thing is genius. It’s really really tough. I’ve crashed the crap out of it multiple times and damaged nothing. Not even a prop. The fact that it comes with FatShark goggles (even though they are the most simplistic version) and the code for the free simulator is fantastic.

Right off the bat I hooked it into beta flight and set it so that the motors stop at full down stick. I think for a trainer quad, shutting the motors when you lose control to prevent damage is kind of a big deal and that works a whole lot better when all you have to do is slam the throttle down instead of having to flip the “arming” toggle off as well.

It flys pretty easily in auto-level mode (though the rates won’t let you handle much breeze at all) and fairly spirited in acro mode. The radio being capable of plugging in to your pc via micro usb cable to fly sims is great.

The first problem I had is that the free DRL sim code in the box has apparently already been used. I don’t know if someone opened the box in the hobby shop and stole the code or what. Waiting on FatShark to email me back about that.

(Update: apparently an update to the DRL sim caused all of Fatsharks codes to become invalid. Patrick from FS Customer Service hooked me up with a working code. Problem solved!!)

Secondly, the batteries are a proprietary thing. I assumed I could just buy a buttload of generic 2 cell lipos and a bank charger and be good to go. But apparently the only option with these is to buy them from FS and charge them one at a time with the dinky little USB chargers. So 6-8 minutes of flight time and a 2-3 hr recharge time with both batteries. Yay.

host image

Third, range absolutely sucks. I assume the video link is the weak link here. There’s no way I’m trying to fly this little sucker LOS past video distance. I’m getting about 100 ft and even the second half of that is pretty full of static. I figured I’d just fly in the house but as soon as I found a corner I lose video. So other than just hovering it in the same room as me, that’s out. This video
Talks about bridging two solder points to “increase FPV power from 5 to 25 mW”. I have no idea if this actually does what he claims or if it would improve things at all. There is also this site https://www.drone-world.com/fat-shark-101-upgrade-kit selling an “upgraded” fs101 kit which includes “Fat Shark 101 Antenna Mod: Experience 2x more coverage than the stock antenna with this upgraded onboard antenna and pagoda antenna for the Recon FPB Goggles that ensures full 360 transmission coverage while flying; this souped-up antenna eliminates dead zones and improves range and clarity!” I wish they sold just the parts to do this mod myself whatever it is. Here are a few quick pics of the electronics.

And lastly, there is zero info out there on modding this thing. I don’t even know if it’s possible to mod it at all. I’d love to be able to do something to improve the video range and quality but I don’t think it can be done. Even going to brushless motors or better batteries seems to be a no go.

So unless anyone knows something I don’t, I guess I’ll just putter around with this thing within arms reach of me till I have the funds for a real setup.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Definitely do the power upgrade mod (bridge those 2 solder pads), this will give an immediate range increase. The batteries look like they are using a balance connector for everything, so any 2S battery you can get properly mounted should work. If it's not a standard balance plug, you can always change the connector on the drone to match your battery.

Swampcrawler

Definitely do the power upgrade mod (bridge those 2 solder pads), this will give an immediate range increase. The batteries look like they are using a balance connector for everything, so any 2S battery you can get properly mounted should work. If it's not a standard balance plug, you can always change the connector on the drone to match your battery.

Thanks. I did bridge that gap with solder after you said go for it. Seemed to make a pretty significant difference. Got about 50-60 yards out of it before losing signal afterwards.

Bad news is I hit a tree, fell out of the tree and his concrete and knocked the camera lens assembly loose. Got it stuck back down though. Probably a dab of glue will keep everything together like it’s supposed to be now. :):)