FREE PLANS WITHOUT BUILD VIDEOS?!?!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
oooOOOOOOH YEEEEAAAaaaahhhh!!!! (Ferris Beuler song voice)

Is there an easy to access/search location for plans? And then on the plan page, have links to the store (if they are readymade) and the build video (if there is one)... Hmmm. Cross linking.

Cheers!
LitterBug

bitogre

Personally, I think it depends on the techniques required. If there are no new techniques, YES, please. Even in such cases, list planes that use similar techniques so we know where to watch a video that is similar and can learn the needed techniques for the plans. If the plane has new techniques that has never been explained in a video, then no, you should not release the plans/kit without an accompanying video.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
If the plane has new techniques that has never been explained in a video, then no, you should not release the plans/kit without an accompanying video.
I couldn't disagree more. As someone who has designed and made some of my own FT inspired scratchbuilds from DTFB I, and many others on this forum, would be fine with figuring out anything that Josh has come up with. From the OP it does not sound like the plan would be to release these in a YT video or in any way that would be found by new people to scratch building that wouldn't understand how to build with DTFB. And as someone earlier in this thread said, if the plans are released then those of us in the community that have the time and skills could make the build videos to allow others to follow along. If the plans are not released then this can't happen.

The answer is always more plan(e)s

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
As someone who has designed and made some of my own FT inspired scratchbuilds from DTFB I, and many others on this forum, would be fine with figuring out anything that Josh has come up with. From the OP it does not sound like the plan would be to release these in a YT video or in any way that would be found by new people to scratch building that wouldn't understand how to build with DTFB. And as someone earlier in this thread said, if the plans are released then those of us in the community that have the time and skills could make the build videos to allow others to follow along. If the plans are not released then this can't happen.

The answer is always more plan(e)s

What he said.

+1

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Yes - Of Course!

Honestly I thought that's what the FTFC'18 WWII Design & Build challenge was about. Creating a wider breadth of Plans, new techniques, basic instructions for everyone here and in the FT Community to check out and pull from when they were done building the Official FT planes. All anyone need to build these are a few pics displaying the trick or tip to the new technique and a good set of plans. The forum will help them work out the rest, and gain another couple buddies in the process.

To echo what's stated above, No plans = no Try or Refinement or Dart board to invent the next new thing...
Some of us have CRAZY ideas rolling around our noggins and aren't sure How we can do it until we see how a new technique works and then we yell EUREKA! and get our idea moving to reality...

But, it starts with the plan(e)s.

tyoho

Printed instructions

This might be the right time/thread to ask again about the creation of some kind of printed instructions.

I've had a couple of opportunities to pass on kits that I cut out on my CNC to older guys at the field, but when I tell them the only instructions are a video online they say no thanks.

It would also be a nice thing to include printed instructions in the Speed Build kits to serve as a quick reference for us with not so great short term memories, although running back and forth from the computer to the workbench is great exercise.

I was thinking a couple of screen shots from the build video (if there is one) with captions highlighting the major steps would probably be enough.

For the designs without a build video maybe the plans could have some build notes or a couple of assembly views.

I agree that after you've built a few FT designs you should be able to figure it out just from the plans, but some instructions could keep you from doing something out of sequence.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Photo on 10-27-17 at 7.57 PM (1).jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No!!!!!

Wait, that's not right. I meant to say YES!!!!

Stefan, I think you may have your answer ;)

If all else fails, the folks here in the forum can point to build vids with how-to's for various parts, and if there's a genuine mystery in the jigsaw puzzle you send us, once it's cracked someone may post a how to . . . or a template part that is even better.

That being said . . . Is Josh trying to get out of doing build videos? It's not like we're gonna stop finding great places to pause and get a silly face from him ;)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I will say YES... but I also want to say why.

As an avid builder I am constantly seeing new folks get into this hobby through FT designs. At FFE this year I was approached by SOOOO many folks about how to get into more detailed builds. I think, and have have thought this for awhile, there is a a bit of disservice to some folks who have mastered the FT designs and have not gained the skills of putting something together by just... figuring it out! It is a valuable skill that I think every seasoned modeler on these forums will attest to. Pretty sure EVERY build log I have put on this forum has had me scratching my head at one point or another.

I think this proposal is the perfect move in the right direction to push FT builders to another level, elevating them on to other things. I really look forward to more offerings in the store... hopefully more designs from our great community.

Kunphushun

Absolutely yes!!!

Additionally how cool would it be for us "community" people to do our own build videos once we figure out how to build them. I can't wait for this.

SoCo1983

Yes please,
I think the heavy hitters of this group have spoken in favor.
Even before i read the comments my wheels started spinning. What if you released them one or two at a time and our community stepped up to really champion the builds! In my head i see teams forming to beta build, draw/design/troubleshoot, build videos/ slideshows. Maybe it will even get all worked out and you can then kit it. Friends helping friends make memories!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
LOL

I'm "LOL"ing at how they talked about it on the podcast and, even after all they know about their community, they still had the courteous impulse to ASK FIRST. I cannot believe they didn't already know the answer they would receive, but it's the fact that they asked....that attitude is most what I like about Flite Test.

:cool:

Rhishikesh

Yep Tell JB this is a good idea

Yep Stefan, i strongly agree with you and this is a great Idea. This would increase the amount of build practice a person who as atleast some experience in the building and/or wants to try and be more independent and learn while improvising,

I really do not see any drawbacks in this concept as the plans provided are already detailed enough for independent builds..As always Sponz does a really good job with the plans he is the best of the best!!

The best part I think is that this will actually accelerate the hobby's progress and bring along better trained and quick-witted members..This will also fix the problem of there being shortage of one kind of design ie we have only 2 EDF models and we will have more of them by this method...

By any chance if some part of the build is confusing, a short video can be created on explaining that part..

I am really into this idea..I want to see FT created 3D printed airplane plans, balsa models, Acrylic Models , all of that beautiful stuff because some builders(myself in particular) want to try planes that occasionally are not foamboard...

Last edited: