UK URGENT HELP NEEDED!

ConfusedMum

My son will be 14 this weekend, and he has autism, so doesn't cope well with disappointment. He has announced today that he wants a kit to build his own RC plane, and I do not have a clue about what to get for him. All the beginner planes I've looked at come ready to fly, and he is adamant he wants to at least do part of the build himself. I don't want to throw huge money at this, as could be a flash in the pan, so looking to spend £100-£150 max. We are in the UK, and ideally need it delivered this weekend latest. Can anyone please help a confused and desperate Mum out with what to get and from where? 🙏🏻

stallingnow

I would ask if he has his own transmitter? Probably not. How about batteries and charger? also perhaps not. The reason I mention this is because as somebody new to the game you may not think of these additional items. If you look online, lets say elitemodelsonline.co.uk You'll see your starting at 314 sterling if you need a transmitter etc. As an old fart I can tell you it's quite a learning experience and you will be in for a lot of frustration unless you have some hands on help. Alternatively, if you look on amazon.co.uk and search for rc model aircraft you can find many foam construction aircraft, with transmitter(a cheapey for sure) and batteries for under 50 pounds. Just be careful that some look like they're powered but are in fact gliders.
yusvwkj RC SU35 looks like it may be fun, At least to see if your son likes it enough to stick with it for more expensive

ConfusedMum

I would ask if he has his own transmitter? Probably not. How about batteries and charger? also perhaps not. The reason I mention this is because as somebody new to the game you may not think of these additional items. If you look online, lets say elitemodelsonline.co.uk You'll see your starting at 314 sterling if you need a transmitter etc. As an old fart I can tell you it's quite a learning experience and you will be in for a lot of frustration unless you have some hands on help. Alternatively, if you look on amazon.co.uk and search for rc model aircraft you can find many foam construction aircraft, with transmitter(a cheapey for sure) and batteries for under 50 pounds. Just be careful that some look like they're powered but are in fact gliders.
yusvwkj RC SU35 looks like it may be fun, At least to see if your son likes it enough to stick with it for more expensive
Thanks for your reply. He has absolutely nothing, completely starting from scratch, so needs everything required for the build and operation of it. My partner may be able to help him with some of the build if required, but we would need all the components. Ideally I'm looking for a starter kit that has everything he needs, or someone to tell me what to buy if we need separate items, as I'm completely clueless! I looked at the RC SU35 on Amazon, but unfortunately looks like a ready to fly, rather than build your own. He really wants to at least part build it, rather than just unbox it.

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
My son will be 14 this weekend, and he has autism, so doesn't cope well with disappointment. He has announced today that he wants a kit to build his own RC plane, and I do not have a clue about what to get for him. All the beginner planes I've looked at come ready to fly, and he is adamant he wants to at least do part of the build himself. I don't want to throw huge money at this, as could be a flash in the pan, so looking to spend £100-£150 max. We are in the UK, and ideally need it delivered this weekend latest. Can anyone please help a confused and desperate Mum out with what to get and from where? 🙏🏻
Hope you don't mind, added UK to the thread title. More likely to get the attention of our UK members.

stallingnow

Thanks for your reply. He has absolutely nothing, completely starting from scratch, so needs everything required for the build and operation of it. My partner may be able to help him with some of the build if required, but we would need all the components. Ideally I'm looking for a starter kit that has everything he needs, or someone to tell me what to buy if we need separate items, as I'm completely clueless! I looked at the RC SU35 on Amazon, but unfortunately looks like a ready to fly, rather than build your own. He really wants to at least part build it, rather than just unbox it.
Yes, the yusvwkj RC SU35 is on amazon.co.uk Not sure if I'm allowed to post links here. It really is a basic toy to take that first step.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Plans are available on this forum to download and build at your own pace, better still the plans here are free. By the time you print out, tape together and cut out the material to be the plane the rest of the items needed may be on hand from local sources. I might suggest the Tiny Trainer linked herein. (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/ft-tiny-trainer.126/). That would solve the build portion and you might make a multi-day event out of this. In fact, you can build it with NO electronics as a glider and then proceed from there. There are YouTube videos that cover this in depth. Good luck to you and your son.

ConfusedMum

This would be ideal for your son but even in the US it would take some time to arrive:
That looks great, although a bit more than I was wanting to spend, as I would imagine shipping to UK will bump costs up quite a bit too. Would you mind giving me your thoughts and opinion on this kit here? Thanks. https://store.flitetest.com/ft-turbo-tutor-value-bundle/

luvmy40

Elite member
That looks great, although a bit more than I was wanting to spend, as I would imagine shipping to UK will bump costs up quite a bit too. Would you mind giving me your thoughts and opinion on this kit here? Thanks. https://store.flitetest.com/ft-turbo-tutor-value-bundle/
That is the same plane as the one Mr NCT linked but with the sport "Turbo" wing rather than the tamer standard wing. Also, that kit doesn't come with the transmitter and receiver like the "Starter Bundle".

ETA: It looks like both kits come with both style wings?

luvmy40

Elite member
I would second the idea of down loading the Tiny Trainer plans and building it as a glider first. You can always build another or just swap the nose back and forth if you want to add power later.

The TT is a fun, easy build that will give you and your son the experience to see if building these planes is what you are looking for.

ItanMark

I think, you should be able to facebook marketplace or find some parts on Ebay for a reasonable price, though i’m not a professional and did not research the facebook marketplace market (did not build my own plane yet) Then you can get some foam, and build the fuselage yourself (with your son)

MacClarkNC

The process of building his first plane can be time consuming and rewarding. I suggest you go through at least 1 iteration of that which will buy you some time on getting the electronics and a kit plane since it is better to learn from scratch builds before making mistakes on kits if costs are a factor. I hoped other uk builders would have committed on local materials available to you and build tips for those, maybe they will. Download the tiny trainer and get it printed at a local printer is easiest but check the price and try to print it full size, or print it at home and tape it together for your template to build. By the time the plane is built you will know if he ha,,s a real interest in building. It is not a cheap hobby to jump into then change your mind. It's a start. Good luck and if he sees effort on your part, he may accept the timeline required to get everything together.