French family enjoying slope soaring

buzuc

Hi guys,
as said in the title I'm a french 41 years old guy. I have a wife and two kids (11 and 9). I'm also a RC glider pilot for nearly 30 years now.

I had to stop building and flying glider for 15 years for a lot of reasons I don't have to explain here.
During the summer holidays in my parent's home in Britanny I found my old planes in a cardboard box and, after I dropped a tear or two, I decided to get back to it.

I didn't want to refurbish my old planes because of the time available so I decided to build something quick. After a few internet search I found your website and videos and decided to build a tiny trainer in glider mode.

I couldn't find any dollar tree foam board here in France or at a price I couldn't afford to pay so I went for depron.
I had to modify the plan a bit to match with the 6mm thickness of the depron (DTF is 5mm). Yes, I'm using the metric system!
Printed the tiled plan, tape the sheets together and glued them directly on the board with a thin layer of glue stick.
We built the trainer in two days with the help of my daughter (cutting the part) and son (in charge of the glue gun).
The only difference with DTF is that I taped the depron (reinforced tape) on the outside before scoring as the depron doesn't have any paper layer.

I then bought a brand new 6 channels 2.4GHz set in my local RC shop (25 km away) with micro servos and 800mAh battery and installed everything in the fuselage.
I have to say here that I was very suprised and happy to see the price for the servos so low compared to the price they were when I was younger.

Anyway, after a few hand launch on the local football a.k.a. soccer to trim the little beast we went on the shore to see if the places I was flying were still there.

They were! and with a tiny sea breeze we flew for hours thanks to the 800mAh battery.

And the whole family had a chance to fly the plane (once I managed to bring it to a safe altitude).

In conclusion: I would like to thank you for that design. You should create more glider... I have a plan to increase the wingspan to be able to fly when there is little wind. But it will not be for tomorrow as my father (71) asked me to leave the glider so he can continue to fly it :)

Last edited:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice story. Nice that your dad is in the hobby now :)

If you do make a low wind version please share the plans for it. I think a lot of people would be interested in it.

buzuc

Here are two small videos of the flight session we had last week end.

That was tricky as the wind was low and gusty plus a micro slope but we had a lot of fun...

Plus a picture of my daughter trying to gain altitude:
20151025_160123.jpg

buzuc

Hello everyone,

a new video with the Tiny trainer slope soaring in brittany. This time we flew it from my parents' house terrace. There is a 4 metres high wall that generates a lot of lift when the wind is blowing.

There was 10 knots of wind and we were able to fly for 1h30 non-stop.

And the second one is cut right before the loop due to my phone that decided to shut itself down for no particuliar resaon...

And by the way: it's my son shooting the videos.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seems like you are having a great time with the family after getting back into the hobby. It seems your children are at the perfect age too as they show interest and are actually learning how to fly.

Its neat seeing a foamie flying in higher winds in a controlled manor. If I tried that it would go up and either pile drive itself into oblivion or catch a nice wind and be set free to its own whims.

buzuc

I would not say that's "higher winds", we can have more than that in that part of the world. But I managed to install a ballast box in the plane and it (she?) can fly in 30 knots.

My kids are both pretty good flyers. I bought a complete set of radio/transmitter, motor, batteries and servos for my son who will turn 10 in august. We will build an FT explorer for him to progress more. Although they prefer to slope soar... I think it's because I enjoy it more than powered flying.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
For me I struggle in the 12mph+ range so far so basically if you can hear the wind in the video that's about my limit for now. I tried this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsq0M42dzI last week but I wouldn't call that flying by any means.

I think that's great your son being so young and already having his own radio and gear. Hopefully he might be open to doing his own Flite Test video for the Explorer build or at least keep a visual track of the build with pictures for us. I guess it really doesn't matter what type of plane he likes as long as he has fun and grows his skills as he gets older. That and he gets more flight time in with you and his sister.