Front fuselage bumper for FT DIY Cub

epatton

Does anyone know of a 3D printed bumper/sleeve that fits over the left and right front-most parts of the fuselage? I'm looking for a way to strengthen it as my son has crashed the DIY cub several times so it's getting banged up.
Thanks. Eddie

Headbang

Master member
Unless it was nylon or hips, light thin 3d printed parts don't handle crashes well. You would be better off using a thin layer of fiber glass cloth with 30min epoxy. Or just epoxy without the cloth.

epatton

I use poster board to strengthen things, check it out it might work for you.
We're in the NW so I'd have to figure out how best to water proof it. I found these methods on Quora. Has anyone found one of these to be the best?
  1. you can rub Microglaze on the cardboard.
  2. you can use Spray fixatives like Krylon, etc.
  3. you can just paint the cardboard with wet wax.
  4. If you can, easiest is to cover the cardboard with a thin polythene.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A couple of years ago now I wanted to strengthen on of the designs I was building to reduce impact damage from crashes. I experienced a fair number back then for various reasons.

I found a method that was surprisingly effective and it transferred the damage to the motors rather than the fuselage.

Have a quick perusal of the following thread; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/saving-my-favourite-ft-design.32479/

Used properly the nose of the plane will survive all but the most serious of crashes with a few scratches or a fracture fold. A little glue and you are back to flying!

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know of a 3D printed bumper/sleeve that fits over the left and right front-most parts of the fuselage? I'm looking for a way to strengthen it as my son has crashed the DIY cub several times so it's getting banged up.
Thanks. Eddie
I have great results just cutting off the offending parts and replacing with a new nose. A straight cut around the body and a simple but joint work well.

The TLAR system is good enough. TLAR - that looks about right