FT-Arrow and FT-Versa combined to make something different - Will it work?

Jimmyp

I've been thinking about trying this idea for a while now. The idea is to combine two different FT wings to make something unique out of them. I am putting together this with the FT-Arrow and the FT-Versa wing. Both of these wings have been my favorites. I have used the Arrow on the front to act as the canards with the Versa on the back as the main wing. I have built a custom belly pan to combine the two of them. Here is the progress.
IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0614.JPG
I have everything hooked up and tested it all. Now I need to cover the center with a top deck and some hatches to access everything.
See video of everything programmed and working.

Let me know if anyone has tried something like this before and if so how did it work out for you.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I love it! The plane will behave a little more like a Tandem Wing rather than a canard.

When flying it just be careful of the TE airflow upsetting the airflow over the rear wing especially at low speed. (Do greased landings until you know what effects your wing configuration causes).

This is the sort of thing I really find interesting. BRAVO!!!!:applause:

P.S. Do not forget the vertical Stabs.

Last edited:

Jimmyp

Bit of a January thaw here in Ontario so I took it out for a flight. It flies sort of OK. A bit weird in the pitch. I think this will be target practice at Flite Fest 2017 in the combats. A big sign on the bottom "Hit Me"

Michael9865

Elite member
Nice experiment. Congratulations on getting it in the air and back down in one piece. Will be fun to see it at FF2017.

I wonder if wing tip plates that start about 1/4-3/8 in front of the leading edge and say a 1/2 above and below the airfoil ending flush with the trailing edge would help keep the air on the wing tips to help with tip stall tendency at slower flight.

Last edited:

Jimmyp

I had a chance to make the couple of changes suggested and flew it again today. The small changes made a big difference in the flight. Very nice now. I think the best setup would be everything mixed together. In the video I test 3 setups
1. Elevator on canards-Ailerons on rear. 2. Elevator on Canards-Ailerons "4x4" 3. Elevator on both front and back.