FT Arrow mod: Detachable wings, multi center pod designs, 3D printed ribs & wingtips & LEDs

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Some time ago I decided to build an FT Arrow that I enjoyed very much, it is an excellent steering wheel and I think that saying that is nothing new because I would dare to say that almost all of us have witnessed that it is an incredible model.
A while ago I realized that traveling with an airplane can be a bit of a problem especially when you don't have a car and need to take buses on long trips. So I set out to build a model that would allow me to store it in a briefcase, so it had to be detachable. I also wanted to try some more advanced FPV instead of the old lazy EasyStart and I wanted to be able to build the night flyer I was looking for some time ago, something that you can fly almost anywhere if you are good enough with the sticks.
Having said that I just have to present my creation.

The first and most important modification I made was
  • to remove the wing spar and replace it with a 4x 6mm wooden spar and to design and 3D print custom ribs.
  • Add a servo mount piece to the sencod rib
  • Add holes to the first and second rib to insert two fiberglass rods that can be obtained from umbrellas
  • Add two holes to the tip wing rib to screw the vertical stabilizers

U can't really see it in these pictures, so I'll try to take some screenshots of the design software later.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 9.45.20 AM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 9.45.20 AM.jpeg

I also put 3 LED strip sections inside each wing, i will go with red and blue and maybe white for the center pod.
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 10.13.34 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 12.51.44 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 12.51.44 PM.jpeg

The wing disassembles into 3 sections so that everything fits in the suitcase.
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 12.55.01 PM.jpeg

The wings will be secured to the fuselaje with a 3D printed bolt and nut attached to the first rib
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 12.58.01 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-11-24 at 12.58.01 PM.jpeg

Now i am going to design the fuselaje that will be 12cm wide. that will be increasing the wingspan and not sure if that will variate the CG location????

This design has a great advantage and that is that besides the ease of transport and storage, it allows you to change the fuselage according to the need of the flight, so you can have a narrow fuselage very similar to the one used in the original plane, or a wider version like the one I am planning to design to fly FPV and mount an onboard camera or even an extra battery. It would also allow to change the fuselage for one with wheels for a runway landing.

BTW i am working with EPO and not foamboard so i will cover the model with colored packing tape at the end.