FT Duster Battery

RedOak84

I was looking at the battery that Flite Test is recommending for the FT Duster, and it seems to me that a 2200mAh, 70Cmax (35C-40C continuous) battery is a little excessive for this platform. Someone please correct me if I am missing, or miscalculating, something.

If I use a GT2215 1100 kv motor with 1045 SF prop, I'm looking at a 26Amp draw at max thrust, so why do I need a battery that can provide 77 amps continuously?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, the 70C spec is way over the minimum necessary for that use - you can save some dough and still have great flight performance with a 30C (ish) battery instead - especially since you're running a single engine plane with it. Having the extra room provided by the 70C battery won't hurt anything though (except your wallet) and it will serve you well if you decide to build a multi-rotor or something swinging a 14" prop in the future.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yeah, the 70C spec is way over the minimum necessary for that use - you can save some dough and still have great flight performance with a 30C (ish) battery instead - especially since you're running a single engine plane with it. Having the extra room provided by the 70C battery won't hurt anything though (except your wallet) and it will serve you well if you decide to build a multi-rotor or something swinging a 14" prop in the future.

I sometimes wonder if they recommend batteries like that because that's what they have in stock at the time, or what...I've got 2 Fluoreon 2200mAh 25c 3s batteries that I picked up from Amazon that I'm running in my Sea Duck; they might be a tiny bit anemic for the twin engine setup and 10x4.7 props, but I have been averaging 6 min. of flight time on each battery, so I'm not exactly complaining. :)