Solved Battery and ESC stuff

Hi,

Can anyone tell me witch of these two batterys will work better with my ESC they are both the same MPH but different C and I don't know what C is one is 40C and one is 25C.
Also the ESC came with a programming card but I have no idea what that is for?
Also does anyone know of a charger with a UK plug that will charge these and not cost £30 or £40 I was looking at some £10 ones but there all on backorder and even if they weren't I don't know what charger works with what battery.

Battery 1: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...bk_live_magento_en_us_products&___store=en_us

Battery 2: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...296&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

ESC:https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...088&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Thanks

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the C rating has to do with how much current the batter is rated to give, you take the mAH rating and multiply it by the C rating to get the 'max' current the battery is rated for. if you do the indicated math for both batteries, they are both rated for more then the 30A that the ESC is rated for.

I would suggest spending a bit more on your charger then £10. I will let someone else, who can probably explain it better me, explain why.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
To your first question about C rating. The esc will not care what c rating you have. The c rating in simple terms is an indication of how fast you can safely discharge it. And can sometimes be used to determine quality. In most cases the 25c battery will be sufficient.

The esc you chose is a 30amp esc. The motor and prop you chose to use with your 3cell battery will draw a certain amount of current (amps). Don't excede 30amps on that esc for very long. Figuring out how much current a setup will draw is a bit more involved. I highly recommend getting a watt meter for testing but good estimations can be made from motor data charts or websites like ecalc.

For the charger. I am in the states and have no idea :). Hope some of this was useful.

Edit. I type slow in the morning. I was beaten to the answer .

JasonK

Also the ESC came with a programming card but I have no idea what that is for?

I missed this question -> an ESC has an embedded computer on it that generates the 3 phase power that operates the motor, it can run different software and get firmware updates to improve the operation, allow different functions, etc. That is what the programming tools are for.

the C rating has to do with how much current the batter is rated to give, you take the mAH rating and multiply it by the C rating to get the 'max' current the battery is rated for. if you do the indicated math for both batteries, they are both rated for more then the 30A that the ESC is rated for.

I would suggest spending a bit more on your charger then £10. I will let someone else, who can probably explain it better me, explain why.
Hi so are you saying that nither of these batteries will work with my ESC if so what kind of battery would you reccomend this is my motor:
https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-...-p-1083190.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Zetoyoc

Elite member
your battery and esc choice are just fine. what he meant was that the esc will fail before you stress those batteries. It is all about current. either of those batteries will be fine with a 30amp draw. or more. but the esc is limited to 30a

edit: too slow again again lol

Bricks

Master member
They should all work together just fine and either battery will be more then enough. Part of the battery question comes down to what size plane are you planning to put this set up into. A smaller plane may not be capable of handling that size battery ( weight ) so it is important part of the equation.

One thing I like about your selection is both the motor and ESC can be run with a 4S battery for down the road. I have gotten to where if it is not 4S capable I will not buy it motor or ESC, unless it is for a smaller plane.

The ESC programing card to change the internal settings of the ESC which unless you need specific settings such as prop braking, or need to change timing you will not probably use it.

JasonK

Hi so are you saying that nither of these batteries will work with my ESC if so what kind of battery would you reccomend this is my motor:
https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-...-p-1083190.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
Sorry to confuse, I was explaining how to answer the question yourself in the future and can see how my answer might have been confusing. As the others have already explained, I was saying the ESC would be over stressed before the batteries.

Do note this is all answered in terms of a single ESC connected to the batteries. If you, for example, were doing a dual motor setup, you would need to compare the max pull of everything connected to the capability of the batteries.

Sorry to confuse, I was explaining how to answer the question yourself in the future and can see how my answer might have been confusing. As the others have already explained, I was saying the ESC would be over stressed before the batteries.

Do note this is all answered in terms of a single ESC connected to the batteries. If you, for example, were doing a dual motor setup, you would need to compare the max pull of everything connected to the capability of the batteries.
No worries, I'm 14 and this is my first plane so I'm not especially clued up on this sort of stuff yet hence all of the posts I've been making and why I am so cautious of blowing anything up thanks for the help :).