FT Duster

Greennomad

Hi. I've built one of these (without the canopy) and think it's a nifty plane. I was thinking about putting the aerolons controls on the top of the wing, and thus removing the landing gear. It would therefore be good for belly landings. Has anyone tried this?

Hell2Go

My son recently resurrected my old Duster. He used the power pod from my nnMIG3 which had a sunnysky 2216-1100kv motor and a mystery blue series 40A ecs. He put on an apc 8x8 prop with a spinner cone and a 1300mah 4s and WOW! this thing is a beast! and he loves how it flys... I'm building one for me now.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I finally finished the Duster I have had collecting dust on a shelf for a few months. I am sorry I waited so long. What a truly awesome plane and the perfect size. I noticed I had 0 rudder authority on the maiden. It was only after getting back home I realized that I never glued the tail servos in. Fortunately the elevator servo was in nice and tight. A brief maiden video is uploading to Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gpp01k6av32c92/Duster_Maiden.MOV?dl=0

IMG_2472.JPG

Capt_Beavis

This plane handles wind really well. I was out in 12-15mph winds today and it flew well, landings were tough and it tumbled a couple of times but all is well. It would have been better if I had just belly landed it.

ali isfahany

i buid it

Hi im from iran and cant speak english well.
I buit a ft duster plane in last month
Its so good i really love it
Icant be fly with that because my esc is broken and i cant be start fly
Can i write some questions in this post?

tamuct01

I've been having issues with my Duster build, and from all the positive feedback on this design I'm wondering if it's just me. I'm powering this version with the Power pack C motor, 9x6 prop, 30A ESC and 3S 2200 battery all have been used previously on my Guinea Pig. On my first flight Dusty was all over the place, nearly uncontrollable, and ended the short flight with a damaged power pod mount. Upon reflection I think it was a bit tail heavy.

I fixed the power pod mount and moved the CG forward to just in front of the spar. I also noticed that the elevator was not providing equal deflection on both sides. This is partially due to the glue reinforcement making the hinge point stiffer, but also the very thin connecting foam between the two halves. I reinforced this as best I could on a completed model and gave it another shot a couple days ago. This time Dusty flew better, but was banking hard left. I put as much right trim in it as I could and wrestled him to the ground without damage. I recentered my trims and adjusted my sub-trim to give him some right aileron. I tried another flight, but I had given him too much and I was unable to bring him in safely the second time.

During my initial setup I did center all my servos, all the throws were set via the throw gauge as I had done previously on my very successful Guinea Pig. I'm wondering if the ailerons are too large on this model and make it very sensitive to roll input. I'm working on his rhinoplasty, and should have him ready to go again in a few days. Before I go crazy and redo the wing with smaller aileron sections, has anyone else had similar problems with the Duster?

Capt_Beavis

Mine didn't like 9x6 and 9x7.5 props. It would roll left constantly. I moved to a 10x3.8 and it flew great, I am now flying a 10x5.5 MR APC prop and it is good. Did you set your throws with the gauge? This plane can be a handful with a lot of travel.

tamuct01

Mine didn't like 9x6 and 9x7.5 props. It would roll left constantly. I moved to a 10x3.8 and it flew great, I am now flying a 10x5.5 MR APC prop and it is good. Did you set your throws with the gauge? This plane can be a handful with a lot of travel.

Thanks for the tip! I have some 10x4.7 props, so I'll give those a try and see if it makes the difference.

tamuct01

Capt_Beavis: This change did the trick! I swapped my 9x6 APC prop for a 10x4.7 SF prop and the Duster was completely manageable. I had a few minor trims to make and he was completely under control even in a light wind. I swore somewhere I saw that the 9x6 was appropriate for this build, but it's obviously not. Thanks again!

Gazoo

Dusty

Dusty. My 5yo daughter helped with the graphics.

Attachments

• 20170102_205236.jpg
    20170102_205236.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1