FT Duster

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The heat it would take to apply monokote would melt the foam. It looks like they used vinyl on dusty but most of the planes get airbrushed.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The heat it would take to apply monokote would melt the foam. It looks like they used vinyl on dusty but most of the planes get airbrushed.

I've heard reports that it can be done, but you have a very small margin of error between the glue's set temp and the foam 's melting point. The paper layer probably makes it easier.

Worth a try, if you've got the gear, but needs a test first on scrap material. Tempted to give it a try myself, but not gonna spring for the gear just to test it.

That being said, I agree - - looks like they used vinyl on their "hero" model.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You might be right if you just "set" the glue, but shrinking is definitely too hot for the foam. Found out by using a scrap piece to set my iron on when covering the GeeBee. Thank goodness the paper was on the scrap piece or it would have been an unholy mess on my iron...

Hell2Go

I think josh used tape... Hobbyking has "wing tape" for $1.88 a roll for 2" or 45mm wide in lots of colors. I'm gonna use red devil polyurethane to seal mine then krylon spraycans... these work best ( with the funny shaped caps) krylon.jpg

PHXWalker

Here is a picture of the FT Duster that I put together. My dad was able to put a nice paint scheme on it. Flew it a couple times this week. It is very tough. On the second flight I bounced it off of the windsock pole (plane magnet) but recovered and flew it around a little before nose diving it into the runway. 25 minutes later, after some glue, a new battery, and a new propeller, it was back in the air and flying like a champ. The wheel came off on that take-off but luckily a very skilled friend at the field was able to gently put her down without any damage. Great rolls and loops! It was a great opportunity for the kids to join in the RC flying!
30A Turnigy ESC 2A BEC (AE-30A), Turnigy Aerodrive D2822/14 1450 KV, 7x5 APC Style Prop, Turnigy 9 gram (TG9e) servos, AR400 4-Channel DSMx Rx.

IMG_3770.jpg photo 1.JPG

Rony

Rony
use for color for duster airplane

Hi

What did you use for color paint or ... beacause I want to make one for my son.
thanks a lot

kanekd

Hi Rony,
The DT Foam lasts better if it’s sealed. There is a post on minwaxing (search Minwax your plane). That also allows you to use most spray paints. I sealed my duster then sprayed it with Gray DAP Touch’n tone primer. Then used colored tape (Shurtape HP Series). If you put the tape down on a counter top first , you can cut some fancy designs first then peal it up and place on the plane. Check out the flames for my grandsons plane.
20140405_201048.jpg

xenocide

Here is mine:

IMG_6843.jpg IMG_6847.jpg

Need to get out someplace larger for this plane, went into a pretty tall tree at my place trying to trim it.

Thanks guys for another awesome plane!

Mine balances right on the spar and it's pretty neutral, and relatively stable. I did have to add 4 1/4-20 nuts to the rear to get it to balance at that point. I am not running the canopy, just an open cockpit. I didn't care for the look of the canopy. I enjoy this plane, with high rates, it's a nimble little bird that rolls like a drill bit!!

HugoW

Hi,

first post here, and business I mean... No time for the social bits! ;)

I would like to build this plane for my son, he's six and cannot fly yet. I will build it without the RC stuff so he can run around with it and make vroom noises. Once he's ready for it I'll add the electrics. But that is all useless info, what I like to ask is:

Is there an edditable format plan available? I find buying the kit ans shipping it over here to the Netherlands is adding 200% to the cost. So I found a company that can plot the plans directly onto foam board. And then I thought (please take note, I occasionallt think) why not have the Dusty Crophopper livery printed on it directly, and only have the cut and score lines printed on very thin (as they are on the wrong side of the plate for this idea). This way I can cut it out easily, have it full colour and detailed, and I can also easily copy the fold and pinch lines to the back side of the plates.

Anyway, in short, would the plans be available in DXF / DWG or such to complete this idea? I would of course post the results. I did make a PDF -> DXF converstion via an online service, but I could use a marker blindfolded and get better results...

Cheers,

Hugo

SheppO

Hi Hugo .dwgs attached - but check the scale when you import to whatever CAD you use - usually an issue between mm to inch conversion - the vectors never come through that great for me but they are workable.

I had a similar idea to you and I found this... kudos to desertwings...

http://flitetest.com/articles/foam-board-that-looks-great

Attachments

• FT-Duster_1414642241.pdf
    892.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Duster.zip
    397.4 KB · Views: 24

HugoW

Thanks, that's a great help and good info. I might cut it by hand now that I can make partial prints from the DWG, and do the printed paper covering trick on it. I love it! I might build two, and outfit one with electronics anyway... Oh no I stopped fying a few years ago. Oh dear...

Hugo

97tj-neil

My son built a Duster for FF15. I was so impressed with how well it flew, I had to build my own. This thing is a speed demon and takes off in about 6' of runway.

My mods from the original plans are a soda bottle canopy, quarter machine monkey pilot, and the Flyingpenguinrc landing gear.

I am having a ton of fun flying this one. My only problem is landing. I am thinking about trying flaperons to see if I can slow it down a little on approach.

One very violent vertical landing activated the wing eject feature. I then converted to a removable wing configuration. At that time, I also got rid of the power pod and permanently mounted the motor. With the wing off, there is lots of access to the electronics.

B32AD8CD-5A05-437F-B45A-B796C933CAAC_zpsaleuaaky.jpg

BD6625CF-180D-47AA-A205-F0DECF1BDA34_zpsaryfjfvj.jpg

new2flite

I'm new here but I grew up down south watching the Ag Cat's and 502 B's work the cotton fields. What would it take to convert this or build a more scale Air Tractor? You don't see very many RC Air Tractors. Why is that?