FT Explorer Maiden and Cessna SKYMASTER Mod

Landon

Finally ready to begin my next build!

I apologize for my 2 month hiatus from the forums. I got busy and annoyed from my flight failures and quit for a time, but Im back.

Just completed the FT Explorer yesterday and it was a blast to work on. Really easy to put together honestly. I had to make a few changes due to my lack of parts or what-not. I took it out yesterday and had trouble with weight and CG. This afternoon (April 8th) I took it out again with correct weight.

Unfortunately, wind+excitement+noobness=
20160409_000647-min.jpg

Heres a video of the failure:
[WILL EDIT IN YOUTUBE LINK WHEN IT FINISHES UPLOADING]

The reason I believe the crash occurred was fear, bad reaction and again noobness. Multiple attempts at first went straight into the ground. This time, I gave it way more Elevator and Throttle. The wind plus the extreme lift caused the plane to launch up to my surprise. I promptly dropped the throttle and elevator alltogether (noob) and tried correcting with less throttle and less elevator (so 100 to 0 to 50 in like 2 seconds) thats why it hops a tiny bit in the video. Then it flips most likely due to wind, and crashes.
But that wont put me down. Ill be repairing it tonight and returning with flight again on Saturday. The aileron and powerpod are the only damaged parts. Everything else is fine.

After repair and hopefully successful flight tomorrow, I plan on beginning my first mod to the explorer. I may begin the rough fuse and tail tonight, we will see.

THE CESSNA SKYMASTER:
n991dm-red-bull-the-flying-bulls-cessna-337d-super-skymaster_PlanespottersNet_368227.jpg

I have a few questions first. I believe Im going to order another PowerPack C to use as twin to my current PowerPC.

What parts are required for this besides whats included?

Would two separate 2200mAh 3S 11.1v to two separate ESCs work or would I need a XT-60 y-harness and a single
battery? I have 3 2200mAh 3S 11.1v so I would prefer the former, but I dont know which is better weight and balance wise.

I also have no issue buying another PPC due to its discount from buying the parts separate and the Guinea is on my wishlist rn.

Will I need the two separate rudders to be movable or can I make do with having no rudders at all?

In your opinions, will this mod add too much weight and make the plane unflyable? If this is an issue, how could i make it lighter?

Thanks a ton guys. Its really fun working on these projects, and you all make it so much easier and enjoyable! Great community we have here.

I plan on heading back in my profile and updating some of my old posts with photos (like the SR-71 and Storch).

Also, I made this a while back, is it worth doing something with? Maybe a glider? Idk
20160409_000652-min.jpg

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
You are basically gong to build the FT Bronco. except the two power pods will be mounted on the body. The rear one is the easy one. A couple bbq sticks and you are good. The nose however will be the issue. I was thinking about do this and this is what I came up with. When you build the nose you will have to cut out a hole in the front so that the motor sticks out. How you mount the lower pod s going to be up to you. Do you want it to stay removable or will it be fixed? Fixed would be easier as you can simply glue it to the man body. Other wise you will have to design a way to "strap it down".
As for the Battery I would just get or make a battery "Y" harness. Build it just like how the ft guinea pig motors are done. I would get a "Y" for the battery and a "Y" for the esc. That would be the easiest way to go.

Landon

Thanks for the reply!

All great ideas. Yes it is similar to the bronco, but i intend on styling the shape of it more similar to the Skymaster.

The nose is a complicated issue. I think i want it removable, so i may go with a power pod style slide in with a skewer or front piece to lock it down. Hopefully the fuse allows enough room for electronics. And i didnt purchase Y harnesses for battery and esc im gonna try and make do with the weight. If i cant get it balanced (likely) ill just order them. I wanna try without forst though.

Thanks again for the input!