FT Flier Mobious

RCBaer

Hello,

Here is a video from my first calm day of flying the FT Flier with my new Mobious. I have some questions for the guys who've done this more than me.

1. I've got the plane balanced, but it doesn't seem to fly as relaxed as it does without the camera on it. I mounted the camera over the front tabs where the power pod attaches. Should I move the CG forward some to compensate for the camera's drag on top of the wing?

2. I would like to build up a small mount for the camera so I don't have so much wing in the frame. How will that change my CG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8r36uP0NZQ

earthsciteach

Hey, RC Baer. Even though the Mobius is light weight, it will add a significant amount of weight to the plane. You can expect it to have an impact on the performance. An FT Flyer is a TINY airplane.

The CG should remain in the same location after you add your mount. How far above the wing are you thinking? The drag from the camera will certainly impact the balance of the plane in flight. But, that imbalance will change with airspeed.

RCBaer

Thanks for the reply. I never really thought of the FT Flier as a tiny plane since the one I had before was a super mini-cub, and it didn't have near the power that my swappables have. (And every time I crashed it, it would break something)

For the camera mount, I was going to make something out of foam or Popsicle sticks about an inch or 2 high so I can get a better view and also so I can turn the camera around and get a backward view also.

Thanks

earthsciteach

Personally, I would place the camera mount just slightly forward of the cg. That way the drag from the camera wouldn't have as much impact as it would at cg. Plus, its far better to have a nose heavy plane than a tail heavy one. You may even be able to move the battery to help balance it out, if necessary. Def will have to trim "up," though.

RCBaer

I'm using a blue wonder motor from Lazer Toyz. I would love to upgrade to a better speed controller and more power! Does the FT Flier handle more motor than the blue wonder? From experience I learned the nut ball got a bit grumpy and would start to fight back when I went a bit to fast..