FT Flyer Worst first flight ever

cavani

Alright so i finally got Everything worked out, plane built electronics set up, transmitter programmed

Got out to a farm and had plenty of space to fly, had it up for about 2 and a half min servo arms popped off because i'm an idiot and forgot to put the screws in. went straight up and straight back down slamming into the ground, it actually was buried in the ground up past the fire wall.

i was going to give up on it and start over but decided to fix it. with relative success, got back out tonight. for got to trim it out before tossing it in the air, Straight into a tree and straight into mud puddle.

i've pretty well given up on the motor as its filled with sand dirt mud and other garbage.

the ESC Battery and Receiver all got wet...

i've got them in bowls of rice drying out right now. wen i picked up the plane the Receiver light was still working so i'm assuming the battery was still supplying power the esc was distributing that power and the receiver was looking for the transmitter

anyway... what are the chances the Receiver is okay? thats what i'm most worried about, its a Graupner GR 16-L
i'd love if i didnt have to buy another one as its a 2+week wait for the order + more $$$

any ideas or suggestions would be great.

thanks in advance

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The happy copter....

This copter has seen many such days and with some cleaning and patience, it flies again today. Don't quit on your motors. They are very tough and can handle some mud and sand. Check out Corrosion X for receivers if you fly around water. I fly over snow all the time so I use it.

Seriously, this is my tri-copter on a good day. It was back in the air in 30 minutes. Just don't quit.

Yes you can! :)

P5270002.JPG

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If you are comfortable with it try taking the motor apart and cleaning it. Just don't lose any parts and you should be fine. Brushless motors are waterproof and the receiver may be fine but definitely get some corrosion x for it. The ESC may be a lost cause because they are very sensitive to water, but it also may be fine. It all depends on the specific circumstance but definitely make sure everything is dry before trying to plug everything back in again.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd expect all your electronics will be fine, especially if you were able to cut throttle before sitting in the water.

For cleaning out the motor, flush with lots of clean water and it'll be fine. Brushless motors can run underwater without any problems, so the wet won't hurt it. The only concern is getting the gritty stuff out before you spin it up.

For the receiver, it's probably just fine as you still had an active light on it when you pulled the battery. Once it's dry give it a test and you should be fine. Definitely look into the Corrosion X or a conformal silicone coating for the receiver and servos.

The ESC is actually the part most likely to have been damaged with a dip. Those really really don't like to get wet. Even using Corrosion X on them can cause a burn out, but some people have had good luck with a liquid electrical tape product or plasti-dip but both of those will increase heat. Make sure you have an oversized ESC if you're going that route.

FliteTest did a video where they put a large segment of shrink-wrap over the whole esc and then used 30 minute epoxy to close up the ends of the shrink wrap around the wires. I've tried that and it works, but was a bit messy to put together :)