FT is the worst!

Rokcrln

Thanks to these guys I've fallen off the wagon!

Hello, my name is Kevin and I'm an addict. It has been 28 years since my last my last struggle with CRACK (my normal landing result). About 2 years ago we ( wife ?, son 6yrs old then, and my self 44 at the time) moved in to care for my father in law during a fast bought with brain cancer. During that time I slowly got back into planes and started with a HF wild hawk after running across RC Powers on line. Went thru 2 planes in a few months and had a blast but beat them good and they fought back some as well. Skip forward a year and I bought an E-flight Apprentice and love it. I can teach my self to fly better, push things a bit and save myself when I push it too much for my experience, doesn't take much!

That being said I'm not a great pilot by any stretch and in some ways worse than a beginner because I try to fly out of my skill level on most flights. So a few weeks ago I came across Flight Test and here I am. I currently have built the Edge 540 just to see how the foam builds go but have not set it up with equipment yet. Also I built the Spit ( full on muscle car looks in my opinion, another addiction by the way) and I have the Flight test pkg to install in the spit but I'm holding back for now. Lastly I built a FT tiny trainer with the speed wing w/ailerons and tried flying last night with mixed results. It flew ok with me as the pilot for 2 laps but as I was trying to trim it out I found the only object in a 4 complex soccer field , the 2" steel upright of a goal post! Well I rebuilt the front of the plane last night so more to come this weekend I hope.

Hey I figured out my TIny trainer issue! Was playing with the radio and wanted to set up expo only to find it was set at -30 already for standard settings. With the spectrum a -# makes it even more sensitive, now it is at +30 for the next flight.

Kevin
Winters CA.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Welcome :) If you're looking for addiction support, you've come to the wrong place... Bunch of enablers around here :D

Rokcrln

Welcome :) If you're looking for addiction support, you've come to the wrong place... Bunch of enablers around here :D

That's just what I need, never liked being the n the wagon anyways, too rough!

Well I had a successful flight with my edge 540 over the weekend , flew, prop hung, very few tricks but landed 4 times and it flew well. Only issue is the wing is very flimsy even with the CF rod, so I came home and started a new one with a built up wing and a few other add-on's! :rolleyes:

I also spent a few hours with my 9 year old working on his Tiny trainer. He is doing all the work on it so far with my guidance. We should have it ready to fly in a week or two as his stamina for this is not a well tuned as mine is yet. We did set up a nice model room up in out attic a few weeks ago when my Wife sujested we find a different place then the dinning room table. I'll try to get a few pics up later.

Kevin
Winters CA.

Hello welcome to the forum. Now that your here we need to talk. Im going to be straight with you about a powerful new experience some of your peers may be experimenting with. It's called F.P.V. In the last few years it's been spreading and you may even see people doing it at your local club.If your on the flight line and you hear people saying stuff like "Vtx" "patch" "CMOS", those aren't hip new bands, bthose folks are doing F.P.V. You need to know that people doing this stuff find themselves acting downright crazy. Directing their aircraft into wooded areas, or toward avoidable obstacles. Even racing through their own homes. You might even see one of these fiends with their electric boxes strapped to their face, head tilted, the direction of their gaze unconnected to the location of the aircraft! They ramble on nonsense like proximity and long-range, tree surfing panning and tilting. Gibberish! So if someone offers you a "ride" in their goggles… You use your head and make the rite decision

Rokcrln

Here is our little hobby room. This was a non accessible attic when we bought our 1885 craftsman bungalow 11 years ago. Now it just needs a few finishing touches, like filling in the old whole house fan

Here are a few of the current planes in the hanger, all in different stages. The spit is out in the shop starting to get it paint job!

Sorry for the mess but it's always like this in my shop!

Kevin
Winters CA.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Awesome way to start makin them memories mate. Welcome to FT.

Just to let you know the only help you will get here for your addiction is encouragement to make it more deeply rooted and maybe a suggestion or two what to build next.

Don't forget to toss up some videos now and again.

Rokcrln

Awesome way to start makin them memories mate. Welcome to FT.

Just to let you know the only help you will get here for your addiction is encouragement to make it more deeply rooted and maybe a suggestion or two what to build next.

Don't forget to toss up some videos now and again.

I'd expect nothing less
In the interest of full disclosure, I have a few other addictions!

My personal project, hand designed and every part hand built.

Building a hood and firewall for a friends 45 Chevy pu.

Built this crew cab, cab , for a customer several years ago.

An old hobby was rock crawling, built this tube chassis crawler.

This 70 was my shop truck until my sone got too big for the 3 of us to fit, sold it last year.

My version of a 67-72 Chevy Tahoe, shortened it 18", turned it into a 4door and had C-4 suspension front and rear. Then a plastic sergon from Seattle wanted it more than I did!

This is a 1/2 scale RPU I built for my son at age 5-6. 24V with forward, reverse, headlights, tail lights...

Last but not least our 67 SS Chevell 396 (138 car) 4spd with 33k original miles. Had this one for about 11 years now.

Can you say "SQUIRREL". If you need to ask, don't worry you don't have it!��

Kevin
Winters CA.

Last edited: