Ft Mighty Mini Scout 'Lackluster' Aileron Mod

Guy123

Hello all,

I decided, being bored as it now gets too dark after work to fly - that when my Mighty Mini Scout arrived (with the speedster that my girlfriend destroyed when I 'let her have a go'. Mind you, it was pretty windy :p) I'd turn it into a build project and make it 4 channel.

Now before I go into detail with how I went about my somewhat... anemic airlerons let me first say. Normally when I order stuff from America (e.g. my Storch) it takes about 3-5 weeks to arrive here in the UK. I ordered these Minis the day they were announced, and they arrived less than 8 days later... As far as I am concerned that is excellent customer service, good job FT!

Now, onto the nitty shi... gritty.

So, I started as most people would by carefully measuring and cutting the airlerons after necking a can of Monster for added motivation:

Stage1.png
Stage2.png
Stage6.png

With the ailerons cut, it was time to think about how I would move them. Having flown many an RC plane with the traditional 1 servo, two push-rod setup as per the bBlender I did consider it. However there wasn't much clearance in the fuselage for the servo; that is when taking into account the two rear control surface push-rods.
Also, I wanted to try something new, so I thought I'd experiment with torque-rods:
104970-5375.jpg

Looking for some torque rod materials I then scoured my 'spare bits/ dead planes' box, which is naturally overflowing as I tend to be a bit ambitious with the old aerobatics. Coming across some ultra lightweight wire from an old Dynam plane, I went about bending and cutting the first torque rod. Thankfully this light-weight wire was really easy to blend, however in my energy drink/caffeine addled state I didn't spare a thought to how it would perform under lateral force.

Stage3.png

To my idiotic surprise I found that torque rods really need to be made of thicker wire; sadly the kind of which was not available to me at the time. However having no sense of delayed gratification, I decided to plough on, instead of you know... waiting till the shops opened.

The thin wire is a pleasure to bend, and with a few supporting 'kinks' makes excellent push-rod material. However as a torque rod it flexed waaaaay too much and left me with very little throw at all. I decided I needed to do all that I could to 'pin it down' to make it rigid, while not affecting its ability to freely twist with servo pressure.

I achieved this (to a limited extent) by cutting the arms off the many additional servo accessories I had laying around from 7 Turnigy nano servos. I then threaded the torque rod through these and embedded them into the foam-board, taking care not to let the glue bond to the torque rod.

Initially I only used two of the arms per rod, one at the servo and one at the aileron side. However I then noticed flex in the middle of the torque-rod and decided to add additional... 'hinge retaining anti-warp things'.

Stage3b.png
Stage4.png
Stage5.png

At this point I was pretty much done! I checked the throw again and although a little more responsive, it was still terribly lacking. I decided to put a larger arm on the servo. This helped, but didn't fit the old measurements, so instead of re-bending - I just rammed it in till it fit and stopped looking at it, because I'm a responsible adult.

Its still black as a witch's proverbial here after work, so I won't be able to put a maiden video up until the weekend. Until then I hope you learn from my many mistakes! (Thicker wire, THICKER WIRE!)

Stage7.png

BanditJacksRC

Nice post.
I have yet to try out the "one servo for both alierons" technique as of yet, but will be building my own mini soon and may give it a shot.
I will be sure to take your advice.

mikemacwillie

I have to say, I really like your writing style. Absolutely hilarious. It'll be interesting to see how they work out. It looks like a really clean install.

Guy123

Thanks Bandit, I think if you use the thicker wire with the control arm technique you will get good results. Also make sure to get the torque rod as close to the aileron hinge-joint as physically possible, it will make a big difference. I didn't do it and realized too late, I think it is one of the major contributing factors to my poor throws.

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you like the writing style; shame my literacy teacher didn't 15 years ago, lol. Thanks also on the clean install comment, I'm normally so keen to get outside I lather the whole thing in glue and wonder why it seems to fly heavy.

One thing (among many) I forgot to mention chaps/chappets is that if you do this, you will need to cut a temporary access hole in the fuselage for sliding the wing+servo in, don't forget!

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Then single center servo is a great idea. Ive used it a few times. I planed on doing it for my mini builds. Nice work man great thread

Guy123

Thanks again for the kind words all, I can't wait to share the maiden video with you all, I'm waiting on good weather and a free schedule (Which, if I keep lurking the FT forums while at work as I am doing now, might be sooner than I think).

Guy

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Dude, great aileron setup! I have a mini that I just built and put a single servo aileron setup on but the pushrod angle is super obtuse (which is horrible for forces). I'm either going to convert to this or just run it on the next build of it. Definitely going to follow this thread. I want to see how the aileron Sout flies for ya!

Guy123

Maiden Video!

Thanks for following the thread guys.

This afternoon, although still rather dreary and horrible outside I lured my gullible camera man out into the damp with promises of beer and riches and decided to maiden the FT Scout.

My expectations weren't high as I'd packed a rather large motor into the tiny power pack and lets not forget that I'd chopped the wings up and shoved ailerons on!

The night before the maiden flight (Last night) I did a little research on torque-rods and realised that the pivot really does need to be as close to the aileron pivot as possible. So, to amend this I took an exacto to the ailerons and trimmed them down, making it an 100% tape hinge.
This aided the throws massively, but also meant the aileron surface area was substantially reduced.

Anyway, I digress.

Please find the video below, enjoy!

P.S. You'll hear me say "The rate of roll isn't great..." - Its because I'd forgotten I was still on low rates! Also yes, That hobbit like cretin on the right is me.

Guy

Last edited:

Guy123

Hey Mike,

Yes indeed loads of power! I flew a few times after and was able to comfortably loop, barrel roll, aileron roll etc. Couldn't quite hover though, it would hold for 3 seconds or so and then fall over. Great fun though.

Here is the motor I was using: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=31188
The ESC: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29635
6x4 prop: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=41516
Lipo:http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin...0mAh_2S_20C_Long_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html
And finally the servos: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin...70A_Servo_3_7g_0_4kg_10sec_UK_Warehouse_.html

Guy

mjmccarron

Nice setup and overall a very cool looking plane. I'm building one myself but I'm using ailerons similar to the FT Baby Blender and Bloody Wonder setup. I'll post pics on another thread when I get into the build.
Thanks for sharing this.
Mike

Guy123

Thanks Mike, please drop a link in this thread when you've started yours, I'm sure people will be interested; I know I am!

Guy