Help! Ft Simple Cub(s)

T1TAN

I am new to the RC hobby, and have built two ft simple cubs for starting off. Both are scratch built, and so far I've flown one only, and crashed it 6 or 7 times. After nosing over some times, I have tried some hand launches but for some reason the plane banks to the right, even with full throttle. I cant control it, only try to save it a bit.
So, after crashing some times, I would like to know what I did wrong??

Thanks in advance,
T1TAN

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I am new to the RC hobby, and have built two ft simple cubs for starting off. Both are scratch built, and so far I've flown one only, and crashed it 6 or 7 times. After nosing over some times, I have tried some hand launches but for some reason the plane banks to the right, even with full throttle. I cant control it, only try to save it a bit.

Thanks in advance,
T1TAN
i would say check that your wing is sitting flat to your tail surfaces..... and check that the rudder and elevator are not warped... then also check that you pushrods aren't just bending when you apply very light pressure t the tail surfaces, whil moving the stick on the tx

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Pictures or video help with stuff like this. I will say though. The Simple Cub is not the best first timer plane. Of the FT and user designed planes I've built it is the twitchiest, jerkiest, and most susceptible to any kind of breeze of the lot to the point of being challenging to fly smoothly.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

Thanks in advance,
T1TAN
I'm a huge fan of the Tiny Trainer. Fun to learn on 3 channel, replaceable nose (which I replaced multiple times) and goes to 4 channel as your flying improves. But without wheels make sure to get plenty of propellers!

T1TAN

I'm a huge fan of the Tiny Trainer. Fun to learn on 3 channel, replaceable nose (which I replaced multiple times) and goes to 4 channel as your flying improves. But without wheels make sure to get plenty of propellers!
Well Ive built 2 cubs already, so I guess Im stuck with them :/
Next time I go to the field, Ill hopefully get a video of the crash

Battery800

Elite member
I would say to check that you wing isn’t slanted or the tail isn’t out of line. Also make sure that those crashes haven’t knocked the motor out of place

T1TAN

They havent knocked the motor out of the mount yet, because I use m3 screws with nuts on the end, and the firewall hasnt cracked yet either.

The Fopster

Master member
Well Ive built 2 cubs already, so I guess Im stuck with them :/
Next time I go to the field, Ill hopefully get a video of the crash
Somebody who's had good experience with the Cub (sorry can't remember who) said angle the wing up a little. Apparently something like a popsicle stick under the leading edge makes it much easier to fly. Good luck!

T1TAN

Somebody who's had good experience with the Cub (sorry can't remember who) said angle the wing up a little. Apparently something like a popsicle stick under the leading edge makes it much easier to fly. Good luck!
Thanks a lot!!! Ill try that next time.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee is THE CUB EXPERT
Thanks for the vote of confidence but still learning!
The cub needs to have the wings identical in shape. IF I build one now I build the wing without dihedral FIRST, (single piece wing with no join), and if the student wants dihedral I then cut the wing into two pieces and use wooden dihedral braces to set the desired dihedral.

After weighing the build result I will add a shim, (popiscle stick), under the wing leading edge if the plane is heavy or if the student wants to fly very slowly. If the wing is fitted with the leading edge shimmed up I test the handling in flight simply because the increased angle of attack may require a minor adjustment to the downthrust if the plane wants to nose up at full throttle and fly level or dive when the throttle is cut.

Many do not bother to sort out the simple cub but done properly it is a sweet performer. After tuning try adding a 6 axis flight stabiliser and watch the flying suddenly become boring. It is possible to use a GPS flight controller and have the bird take off and even land unassisted apart from operating the throttle and of course getting the model properly lined up for take off or landing. It makes a good tricycle gear bird as well.

I also can provide the basic design of a couple of FB TOOLS that can help you get the tail alignment PERFECT if you think it might help.

Just my thoughts!

Have fun!