FT Storch Lighted Wing

Verris

Decided to post a few pictures of my lighting setup for my Storch.

Normal Storch wing, with added NerdNic aluminium spar.
IMG_20170306_230315.jpg

Extra wires?!
IMG_20170306_230402.jpg

Strange black box
IMG_20170306_230451.jpg

Lets plug it in and give it a battery!
IMG_20170306_230552.jpg

All hooked up (Aside from servos, who needs those?)
IMG_20170306_230607.jpg

Fancy remote!
IMG_20170306_230615.jpg

Something strange about this wing..
IMG_20170306_230421.jpg

Power button? BAM!
IMG_20170306_230623.jpg

Any colour you desire!
IMG_20170306_230644.jpg

Select an individual side, or both
IMG_20170306_230659.jpg

Select brightness, individual sides or both of course
IMG_20170306_230721.jpg

Whats in the box, man?
IMG_20170306_230857.jpg

What about the other side?
IMG_20170306_231002.jpg

So I designed this simple box holding an arduino pro mini along with a few mosfets. You plug in a servo lead coming from a led strip in each wing to the box, add a 3s battery and plug the box power into the wing too. It's got an IR receiver that hangs out the front of the plane and controls the strips with the remote.

You can set any of the preset colors from the remote. You can increase and decrease the brightness. Power on and off of course. The color arrows work and let you adjust the current rgb value. The DIY1 button flashes the left wing three times to select it, DIY2 the right, and DIY3 both wings. When one wing is selected, any commands are only given to that wing, so setting a color, brightness, or the options. You can use jump3 to flash R, G then B. Jump 7 jumps between random hex codes, fade3 fades nicely between colours, fade7 fades between random colors.

The quick and slow buttons speed up or decrease the speed of the jumps or fades, allowing for blinking lights up to seizure inducing strobe mode. Auto resets to the default always on color. Flash flashes on and off that side or both wings depending on your selection. Of course, you can do things like make one wing fade rgb and the other flash random colors. Completely required.

DIY4 is currently set to just a standard red one side green the other configuration, always on. DIY5 Alternates red blue for your plane chase needs, and DIY6 alternates red white because when someone else crashes, the ambulance shows up.

I decided to just add LED strips while rebuilding the wing after folding it 40 seconds into its maiden last fall. Unfortunately I haven't flown it since as the weather in Canada isn't great for flying this time of year. The rebuild uses Nic's aluminium spar making it super fold proof now. I wanted regular LED strips and ran the wires for them, but had all winter so I decided to build something to let me control them. This is what I ended up with

And of course, here's a video of it in action. (Flashing lights make for terrible pictures)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxGU7DVatA

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Very nice. What's the range? do you set it on the ground and then fly? Can you change it in the air? Do/Can you asign a nob to controll it? I'm considering doing something similar.

Verris

The range isn't very far, limited by the cheap remote. I'd just set it on the ground and fly it, maybe with a second person trying to change it as you fly past. You could easily hook up one of the knobs from the receiver to the arduino and program it that way.