FT Tutor Servo Extensions

Alecm947

Goodafternoon everyone, I just started my journey into rc flight and had a question regarding the FT Tutor Starter Bundle. I was confused when I began assembling my ailerons finding I didn't have 2 more Servo extensions to feed through the wing, I have a "Y" plug that doesn't accommodate the length of wire needed to feed through the wing to have my ailerons Active. I did take a look back at the FT Tutor starter bundle supplies/components and noticed 2x 60cm Servo extensions and a Single "y" Servo plug/connector. My question is, is the bundle made to be a 3 channel with the option of buying components to make it a 4 channel later on? Thanks Guys

-Alec

I have a question along the same lines. Not sure what my Y connector is for other than flying a twin. Is there a video in how to build the power pod other than the one that focuses solely on motor-batter-ESC that I’m missing? Thanks in advance everyone.

WillL84

Goodafternoon everyone, I just started my journey into rc flight and had a question regarding the FT Tutor Starter Bundle. I was confused when I began assembling my ailerons finding I didn't have 2 more Servo extensions to feed through the wing, I have a "Y" plug that doesn't accommodate the length of wire needed to feed through the wing to have my ailerons Active. I did take a look back at the FT Tutor starter bundle supplies/components and noticed 2x 60cm Servo extensions and a Single "y" Servo plug/connector. My question is, is the bundle made to be a 3 channel with the option of buying components to make it a 4 channel later on? Thanks Guys

-Alec
You should contact the FT store team and tell them that the extensions were missing from your kit. They're also super cheap for a bundle of them on Amazon so there's that.

mmartinez85

Same exact issue here. I used the two extensions for the rudder and elevator. And then the Y harness doesn't have enough length to wire through the wings. I'd have to just wire them under the wings like attached. I emailed the FT team. Will respond back here with what they say.

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_212839906.jpg
    IMG_20230918_212839906.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

WillL84

The tutor is indeed meant to start as a 3-channel trainer so that is probably the reason for it only coming with two extensions. But then it coming with the Y cable wouldn't make sense either.

mmartinez85

Gotcha. I'm learning here. He does say in the video before starting the ailerons that if you're doing a 3 channel plane you're done.

Question though... if you're doing a 4 channel plane, if you do rudder, elevators, throttle, then the 4th channel would need to be ailerons with one channel (the Y harness). Is that thinking correct?

SteveH

Gotcha. I'm learning here. He does say in the video before starting the ailerons that if you're doing a 3 channel plane you're done.

Question though... if you're doing a 4 channel plane, if you do rudder, elevators, throttle, then the 4th channel would need to be ailerons with one channel (the Y harness). Is that thinking correct?
I believe you are correct, perhaps an expert will confirm for deffo

Foamforce

Yup, you use the Y for ailerons because they are mounted opposite each other, so the same signal makes one go up and the other go down.

The exception would be if you wanted to do flaperons or if you wanted to do aileron differential through mixes on your transmitter. In both of those cases you need separate channels for the left and right ailerons, but neither of those are are needed for beginners.

PS, it looks like that Y is long enough. On mine I mounted the receiver under top of the fuselage, right behind the opening. That way I can easily reach it to attach the aileron and flap wires when assembling before flight.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I believe you are correct, perhaps an expert will confirm for deffo
I agree with Foamforce, just to clarify, with a Y harness, the aileron servos MUST be installed as a mirror image of each other. If you lay the servos side by side on a table, with the bottoms together, it doesn't matter if both the control horns closer to you or further away. Just make sure both servos are doing the same.

Pro Tip: ALWAYS install your all of your servos in the same orientation from plane to plane. Once your plane is setup, you will never need to reverse your servos again. Just copy your setup to a new model in the Tx.

mmartinez85

Thanks folks. Making more sense now. I may just run and get some extensions at the hobby store so I can run the wires through the wings and make it look nice and pretty. I'm assuming this kit itself will support 4 channel as shipped.

Foamforce

Thanks folks. Making more sense now. I may just run and get some extensions at the hobby store so I can run the wires through the wings and make it look nice and pretty. I'm assuming this kit itself will support 4 channel as shipped.

Fwiw, in your picture there you have plenty of length to run those through the wings without an extension. If you’re worried about burying the connectors in the wing, just wrap a piece of tape around them to keep them in place.

However, it is still handy to run a short 3” extension from the receiver as a pigtail, because it’s easier to plug the Y connector from the wing into that pigtail than it is to squeeze it onto the cramped connection in the receiver. So it’s nice to have, but not necessary.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Fwiw, in your picture there you have plenty of length to run those through the wings without an extension. If you’re worried about burying the connectors in the wing, just wrap a piece of tape around them to keep them in place.

However, it is still handy to run a short 3” extension from the receiver as a pigtail, because it’s easier to plug the Y connector from the wing into that pigtail than it is to squeeze it onto the cramped connection in the receiver. So it’s nice to have, but not necessary.
I don't think he can. Looks like there is not enough length on the servo wires.
After you snake one side through while attached to the Y, you can't do the other side because it's too short to reach and plug into the Y.
It does appear to need at least one extension, but I'd advise using two.

Last edited:

Foamforce

Same exact issue here. I used the two extensions for the rudder and elevator. And then the Y harness doesn't have enough length to wire through the wings. I'd have to just wire them under the wings like attached. I emailed the FT team. Will respond back here with what they say.

Oh, I see what you’re saying, it’s long enough to reach, but you can’t pull it through like that. Hm. Cut access doors like on the mini Guinea? But yeah, I understand now.

WillL84

My Legacy needed extensions for the aileron servos, the Y harness wouldn't cut it by itself. Not sure how much bigger the wing is on that than the Tutor though