FT Tiny Trainer

Andy_

Hey guys,
I just completed the glider version of my tiny trainer scratch build and I am having a little trouble balancing it. As I am still waiting on my batteries I went out today just using it as a chuck glider. The total weight (with servos) is 270 grams. In order to balance it properly I had to put 90 grams of dead weight right in the nose increasing the weight to a total of 360 grams.
Now the battery that I orderd weighs in at about 30 grams and the ESC another 10 grams which means that when I put them in the nose I would still be 50 grams short of balancing the plane.

What is the wheight of your planes? Can any of you confirm the weight given in the build plans of about 200 grams without battery? How did you balance your planes?

Any ideas of how I could properly balance my plane without increasing weigth drasticaly? I was thinking of building a longer version of the glider nose. Would that have a big impact on flying characteristics?

I would be very greatful for any advice!!!
Greets
Andy

MrClean

Go to a tire repair shop. Ask them if you can have some of the old, used weights. Take your fill is usually the answer. Come home with your ill begotten booty and balance your plane.

It's free. Get enough for future use. You'll probably need a pound or two for the next couple years.

peabody1929

Tiny Trainer Motor

I am new to RC flying so I need a Trainer plane to start. The Tiny Trainer looks great; I want to build one. The parts list calls for an EMAX MT1806-2280KV. That motor is used in quadcopters so it comes in two flavors: CW and CCW. The difference is in the thread for the prop adapter--Plus thread and CCW thread. Which flavor of motor should I order?

Thanks!

dukeFlywalker

I am new to RC flying so I need a Trainer plane to start. The Tiny Trainer looks great; I want to build one. The parts list calls for an EMAX MT1806-2280KV. That motor is used in quadcopters so it comes in two flavors: CW and CCW. The difference is in the thread for the prop adapter--Plus thread and CCW thread. Which flavor of motor should I order?

Thanks!

I recently finished my Tiny Trainer and went with the CW version. If I'm not mistaken (I'm pretty new to the hobby) your prop will spin CCW. You want the tread going opposite so it doesn't spin the prop nut off.

Last edited:

dukeFlywalker

Andy, you'll also have your motor (you didn't mention that). The Emax 1806's specs say it weighs 18 grams. There is also the addition of the power pod. I finished my Tiny Trainer recently and actually had to attach the battery pretty far back on the underside of the power pod to get it to balance. You may not have much of an issue when all is said and done.