FT Versa Copter as a First FPV Racing drone (all included)

buzuc

Hi all,

after watching the Versacopter I was hooked... But:

Is there somewhere a list of material and equipment to build a complete FPV racing drone?

Something like:
  • FT Versa copter
  • Power pack E
  • receiver with built in controller
  • FPV camera
  • FPV googles
  • FPV antenna

I tried to find all this stuff but as I'm new to FPV and racing drone (but not multirotors though) but there is so many options and equipment available that I'm a bit lost and confused.

Thanks for your help.

Spastickitten

Make sure to get the one with the receiver/ flight controller with the radio.
I'd get some batteries too, and a battery alarm. I think there is telemetry, but a battery alarm is so cheap just get one just in case.
A battery charger is needed for these batteries too. If you need help finding these, I can help.

buzuc

Make sure to get the one with the receiver/ flight controller with the radio.
I'd get some batteries too, and a battery alarm. I think there is telemetry, but a battery alarm is so cheap just get one just in case.
A battery charger is needed for these batteries too. If you need help finding these, I can help.

Obviously.

What I'm searching for is the best combo with details on parts to use i.e :

• FT Versa copter from Flitetest
  • Power pack E from flitetest
  • receiver with built in controller Graupner G18
  • FPV camera make and model?
  • FPV googles make and model?
  • FPV antenna make and model?
I will sort the privider as I think of buying parts in Europe as I'm living in France and don't want to spend custom when unecessary.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
You will also need an FPV video transmitter and video receiver. Give me a budget and I'll try to get you a shopping list.

buzuc

You will also need an FPV video transmitter and video receiver. Give me a budget and I'll try to get you a shopping list.

I don't have a budget yet.:eek: but obviously if I could get a Lamborghini for the price of a used car....

Seriously speaking I don't intend to compete, I just want to get in the hobby. I would the say an average budget.

Thanks for your help

I have seen that IRL and it looks a bit crappy. I was thinking of something that looks more "professional"

coreyltexas

As far as budget goes you can buy some things second hand, which is what I have and continue to do @ rcgroups.com or something similar (classified,fpv equipment). This hobby can get very expensive and I try to save money anywhere I can (to buy more stuff) :)

FPV camera make and model?
FPV googles make and model?
FPV antenna make and model?

1. getfpv.com has the Lumineer CS-600 Super - 600TVL board camera for $56.99 (or by used).which is a great camera! This is fpv only.

You will also want a camera to record your flight, there are two real options, first the cheaper (and lighter) would be a Mobius ($70 new) and they sell them on the flight test store. The Mobius is a great camera and is very easy to use! Second option would be a Go Pro camera ($200-$300 used) they both really take great video but the Go Pro is pricey hanging off of the quad at high speed.

2. Fatshark's are standard fpv google and you wont regret it! (Used I got FS Dominators for $200 with vrx module, battery and headtracker)

3. Immersion RC antenna's are the gold standard, circular polarized (left hand or right handed) omni-directional work great, and can get some serious range if used correctly. I paid $40 for a set of LHCP antennas, and have not had any issue out of them.

Hope this clears up any question you may have, if you have any more feel free to ask.

P.S. I will have my Versacopter tomorrow and will be working on building it this weekend (took a few days of vacation in order to put it together.) so should have actual feedback soon! Happy Flying!!

buzuc

Great! That's what I was waiting for. I will begin sourcing equipment and ask my best half for a budget...

If you're looking for a better "all-in-one" package for a beginner, check this out: http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-goggles/fatshark-teleporter-v3-video-goggles.html.

Also, you can get a GoPro knockoff for about the same price as a Mobius. This one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...P_Full_HD_Video_Camera_w_Waterproof_Case.html
works well, and this one
http://www.getfpv.com/xiaomi-yi-action-camera-1080p-60fps-white.html
has a little better video quality.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

gstopyra

Along the same lines of "what do I need to get started"...I have a Spektrum DX6i that I use for my mighty mini. Can I use this same Spektrum radio with the Versacopter kit? I just use the same receiver?

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?
Along the same lines of "what do I need to get started"...I have a Spektrum DX6i that I use for my mighty mini. Can I use this same Spektrum radio with the Versacopter kit? I just use the same receiver?

Yes you can, you would just be hooking up whatever flight controller you get via PWM using all the cables. I think Horizon Hobby just came out with a receiver that is specifically designed to use with small multirotors over PPM.

coreyltexas

For $10.86 you can get a really small ppm rx, it works well on my Versacopter. I get really good range out of it and yet to "brown out" Orange R616XN, I got mine from Amazon in 2 day for $16.

Keep in mind that the Fatshark Teleporter goggles only have a resolution of 320x240 and the camera that comes with the kit is pretty much useless, because on one hand, it doesn't record very high quality video (when compared to a GoPro or Mobius), but still has some lag in the video transmission (as compared to a board camera.)

My recommendations are:

Budget setup:

Goggles: Hobbyking DIY goggles v2
Video Rx: ImmersionRC Uno 5800 receiver
Video Tx: ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 transmitter
Camera: Lumenier CS-600 Super 600TVL D-WDR camera
Antennas: 2x ImmersionRC SpiroNet circular polarized antennas

Total cost: around $250.

Advanced setup:

Video Rx: ImmersionRC Duo 5800 receiver
Antennas: 2x ImmersionRC SpiroNet circular polarized antennas and 1x 5.8 SpiroNet Patch Antenna

One of the circular polarized antennas goes on the Video Tx and the other one goes on one of the ports of the Video Rx; the patch antenna goes on the remaining port of the Video Rx.

Total cost: around $400.

Also, look for used equipment on the Flite Test website. You can sometimes get a really good deal.

Let me know if you have any questions!

The Alpine Ace

Keep in mind that the Fatshark Teleporter goggles only have a resolution of 320x240 and the camera that comes with the kit is pretty much useless, because on one hand, it doesn't record very high quality video (when compared to a GoPro or Mobius), but still has some lag in the video transmission (as compared to a board camera.)

My recommendations are:

Budget setup:

Video Rx: ImmersionRC Uno 5800 receiver
Antennas: 2x ImmersionRC SpiroNet circular polarized antennas

Total cost: around $250.

Advanced setup:

Video Rx: ImmersionRC Duo 5800 receiver
Antennas: 2x ImmersionRC SpiroNet circular polarized antennas and 1x 5.8 SpiroNet Patch Antenna

One of the circular polarized antennas goes on the Video Tx and the other one goes on one of the ports of the Video Rx; the patch antenna goes on the remaining port of the Video Rx.

Total cost: around $400.

Also, look for used equipment on the Flite Test website. You can sometimes get a really good deal.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I'm having the same questions as this guy, and your list helped so much! Thank you! But I have an additional question, I do like that receiver-and-flight-controller-in-one they showed on the video, and I was wondering if there was any way to get that to talk to my DX6i, or do I have to buy a Graupner Tx?
Thanks!

I'm having the same questions as this guy, and your list helped so much! Thank you! But I have an additional question, I do like that receiver-and-flight-controller-in-one they showed on the video, and I was wondering if there was any way to get that to talk to my DX6i, or do I have to buy a Graupner Tx?
Thanks!

You're very welcome :)!

Regarding the Graupner GR-18 receiver/flight controller unit, yes, you do have to buy a Graupner transmitter in order to use it. A Spektrum DX6i will work reasonably well if you're starting out though. I used mine for a long time on my multicopters. The main disadvantage is the lack of voltage and signal strength telemetry, both if which are a must on an FPV multicopter. If your battery voltage drops below ~3.3v per cell, then the ESCs' low voltage cutoff will kick in, reducing each motor's RPM to idle speed. And in most cases, the ESCs won't cut off at exactly the same time, causing your copter to tumble (read: crash!). Before I got an FrSky Taranis which has voltage telemetry, I plugged in a voltage beeper into my battery's balance port, which worked OK as long as I was within range of hearing the buzzer :D!

Good luck and happy flying!