FTCC'18 Ohka Model 43(x) -- Team Motherless Child

Namactual

Elite member
Wow, that looks good man! The precision on those cuts and bevels look down right mechanical. I wish I had that kind of build discipline.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Yup. That is some good knife work. Pretty cool looking. :) The vent might protect against dragonflies! It's actually a problem here. We have a had huge dragonfly hatch.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Guys! There is not that much beveling going on, just a lot of score cuts which I then open up with a blunt-ish BBQ skewer.

This is where the build is currently. I have updated the Build Post with the details leading to this point. Pretty happy with it and really happy with the NAMA duct. It's no where near as conspicuous as I thought it might be. Need to glue in the wing, install elevator servo, control surface hardware and wiring. I also need to add the decorative ducts and canopy. I think I will need to scale up the canopy (and maybe the ducts) because they seem weirdly undersized against this fuse. At this rate she will fly this weekend and she might also be painted for the maiden. I am thinking of minwaxing the plane before applying spray paint because last time I painted a plane little wrinkles showed up all over (which used not happen with the older DTFB). Thoughts on the minwax approach would be appreciated.

41 getting there.JPG

DamoRC

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I am thinking of minwaxing the plane before applying spray paint because last time I painted a plane little wrinkles showed up all over (which used not happen with the older DTFB). Thoughts on the minwax approach would be appreciated.

DamoRC

I'm going to do my second Minwax plane with my next one. I like it. But there are a couple of things to look out for. It can eat bare foam so be careful with that. The most important thing is not to get too much on. Use both hands and apply and blot. If it really soaks in it can make the foamboard soft and bendy. The finish is a nice hard urethane shell.

HilldaFlyer

I am thinking of minwaxing the plane before applying spray paint because last time I painted a plane little wrinkles showed up all over (which used not happen with the older DTFB). Thoughts on the minwax approach would be appreciated.

Hey, DemoRC,
Check out to see if Walmart near year carries ROSS foam board. No minwaxing needed - 88 cents a sheet, doesn't peel when it gets wet, paint directly to the board, and it is brighter white than DTFB so colors are brighter. There are several threads about DTFB and ROSS. Personally, I like ROSS and will build with it if I'm leaving the paper on. If I am doing a fiberglass skin, I'll use DTFB because it peels much more easily.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@SlingShot - thanks, I will give this a try.

@Hildaflyer - I have never used the Ross foam - something to try in the future I guess.

Updated the Build Post and now she is pretty much done.

48 Pretty much done.JPG

I was a little concerned about how much of the NAMA duct was covered by the canopy. Another static thrust test yielded 32 oz of thrust. Not bad given that the AUW with a 2200 4S is 28 oz.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The plane is finished. Will maiden tomorrow hopefully. Will also post final plans in the next day or so.

Can't add any more pics to the build post so here are the last few.

Decided on metallic paint - didn't minwax but used many very, very light coats. Except for a few small spots the foam didn't wrinkle.

First few coats...
49 starting paint.JPG

Final product - a bit rough but I like the "shiny"
50 - finished paint.JPG

Used some red vinyl tape for lines and circles, dressed up the canopy with black sharpie (couldn't find a kindergartner to do this properly), and added the cherry blossom.

"Once the blossom falls, it cannot return to the tree".

51 finished plane.JPG

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Namactual.

If you look closely you'll see proper attribution is included on the plane...

53-NAMA.JPG

Maidened today.

52 - prepped for maidern.JPG

Unfortunately I somehow managed to lose the maiden vid (I'll try to get it again from the guy who took the video for me). Let me just say that it was horrible. I decided to use an online CG calculator for this model and balanced it (a little nose heavy) on the most conservative point based on the calculator. This was way too tail heavy. Also, the wing seemed to have a tip stall issue. It basically flew like a cow. Somehow I managed to get her down without any damage. I pushed the battery forward and she started to fly better. This is a vid of one of those "find the CG" flights.

On later flights I pushed the weight even further forward and she started to fly well. The tip stall was still there though (you can see a couple of instances of this in the video above). So I performed an at-field modification, removing a 1 inch long section of the underside of the wing at each tip).

54 - modified wing.JPG

Once this was done - she flew great - I spent my remaining 4S batteries flying her because I really enjoyed flying this shiny plane.

So I'll update the final plans with the modification and post them soon.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Pretty awesome. I won't ask which one of your children you love more :rolleyes:

Actually, I shouldn't say this, but I really like this plane and am beginning to dis-like the Reichenberg a lot! I'll post updates on the Reichenberg later.

So what sorts for flight times are you getting?

@Useroftoomanylettersinyourusername - I'm getting around the 3 minute mark with about 20% left in a 2200 mAh 4S. For the first couple of flights today I came down early because I still needed to make adjustments. I think some element of the competition involves being in the air for 5 mins? Ain't happenin' with this model unless you want to fly it really, really slowly with a bigger battery - but where's the fun in that?

Final Plans are posted on the Build Post.

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
That's awesome!

It looks and sounds sooooo good in the air!

Again, great work! I am going to build one of these with one of my extra 64mm's I have laying about.