Get Watt info without Watt Meter?

FieldRC

Hello,
I have a multi meter. I'm willing to do some arithmetic to measure wattage, current draw ect. to make sure my power system doesn't fry itself. Can I just use the multi meter and it's different settings?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if your multi-meter can handle the current that you might get from system (not all go really high there), you can just assume resting voltage on the battery (it dips, but that just means your math will be higher then actual) and put your multi meter in line with the power lead and run a bunch test.

FieldRC

if your multi-meter can handle the current that you might get from system (not all go really high there), you can just assume resting voltage on the battery (it dips, but that just means your math will be higher then actual) and put your multi meter in line with the power lead and run a bunch test.
Thanks! I had a similar idea.

quorneng

Master member
I suppose the question is what is the max amps your multi meter says it can handle. Even a small plane can easily exceed 20A,
Most multi meters are protected by a special quick blow fuse to protect the electronics. Can be a pain to replace if it blows.