Getting back on foot :S

rimus

Hello People :D....

Ok so what happend is, i've been wanting to make radio controlled vehicles for a long time. After some youtube-ing I stumbled in this video from MAKE - maker hangar...great video, got me all pumped up.

This gentleman in the video introduced me to flitetest :p

To FliteTest, thanks for doing what you're doing keep it up...Please :)

and...so to the point. So, before I was introduced to fliteTest, I already ended up buying the parts list that was recommended by the Maker Hangar video. It cost me alooot...considering I being unemployed and a post-secondary student....

Anyways, after I started watching flitetest videos, I decided to make the ft3D...i thought to myself, that i'd use the same parts and it might not be that bad...

Eager to start...i bought my foam board and had a lot of trouble cutting through them because I didn't have proper cutting tools...(used a knife...) So some how i ended up with Ft3d (but ailerons weren't parallel with the elevators...bad ft 3d).

Even though I have never tried a simulator or any rc planes, I decided to take a test flight at night.

Bad things happend, lost sight of it in first five secs, especially with all the snow and freezing temp...negative -30C -_- (#Canada). Crashed..

622416_578615568880156_1549259644_o.jpg

Since i used a hard plastic business card as a motor mount...(and not wood board....lol couldn't find some) it came off the plane...So next day i just slapped it on with some duck tape and it FLEW

asdf.png
...was kinda proud...until decided to land and....lets just say the plane won't fly again.... but
"The best landings are the ones that you cannot walk away from." ~David Windestal

So bros...sis..if its ur first time try not to jump to 3d :S and if u r able to order their kit do it....unlike me who ended up being screwed with unparalleled wings.

Going forward, I had some foam board leftover, just enough to make the Versa Wings :p.... The pusher, tried to fly it yseterday....couldn't fly it, went down and broke my prop. I didn't know what was wrong...maybe the propeller was too small? Wasn't balanced properly? Or maybe i threw is the wrong way..:confused:.

1487732_587137991361247_1776635543_o.jpg

So generally for both planes my parts were:
- Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
- Turnigy 4X FHSS 2.4ghz Transmitter and Reciever (Mode 2)
- NTM Prop Drive 28-36 1800KV / 438W
- TGS Sport 6x5E Precision propeller
- TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller
- HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo

I think my prop is a bit too small...and the driver is a bit too powerful for a beginner...but anyways..bought it gotta use it.

Sorry you had to read all these stuff....had to tell someone, after all I hope I'm a part of flitetest community :p

Last question, using these parts that i have is it possible to make any of the FT trainers (the nutball?? the flyer? the delta?) or are the parts gonna be too heavy for them? Please lemme know. Or is there other plane that i can try building that may be not tutored by FliteTest.(lol i wish they made a scratch build video for a plane like cessna..)

Anyways, Thank you. Hope you guys out there have more success than me. Don't give up.

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Ouch.

With your current list of parts, the 6x5 prop sounds a bit fast. Especially with a 1800KV motor. Especially with a 3cell battery.

If you get a smaller / lower KV motor and some 8x4 props, then everything else should be fine for the FT Flyer, which is one of the best planes to start with.

I have the exact same battery as you and got this plane I designed to fly well with that heavy of a battery: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6426-1-swappable-trainer

I don't have any good footage of that airframe, but it is a great design. Since I copied some parts of the FT Flyer and it's about the same size, I think that battery would be fine for the FT Flyer as long as you don't add any tape or anything to the foam board.

Get a 1100KV motor and some 8x4 props. Build the FT Flyer and you'll be much better off.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with you on buying one of Flite Test's speed build kits instead of building first. Of course any one's first build isn't going to be very good. But your first plane doesn't last long. It's nice to keep getting better and better at build while you get better and better at flying. Keeps the hobby cheaper that way. But that's just my opinion.

For your Versa wing, make sure you have the CG at the right place. Wings are very, very picky at having the CG correct. But having such a fast set up means that it's going to take a while to build speed. You'll be better off with a smaller, slower motor and a 9x5 or a 8x4 prop.

eagle4

I agree with rcspaceflight, I'd suggest getting a lower kv motor, as a lower kv motor is more like a truck engine compared to a motorbike engine, my first engine was the hextronic 1300kv 24gram motor, I think it costs about $7, grab a bunch of 8x4 props, I say get a bunch cause you'll need 'em, I still go through props regularly.

If you build the ft flyer you'll have a better time learning, the versa is a great plane, but as the cg is tricky to achieve, and it needs to be accurate, there isn't much leeway, if you build the ft flyer it's a bit more forgiving if your build is a little bit off.

As you're new to the hobby, the reason the ft flyer is a good plane is its simple to build, and it has dihedral, which means the wing tips are higher than their root. It's adds a lot of stability in flight, it also will want to help you stay level, which is a good thing :)

Don't get disheartened, we all crash and end up going home with armfuls of foam. With the right plane and right gear you'll be flying the versa and the ft3d in no time :)

Looking forward to watching you progress as a pilot :)

Oh and welcome to the forums

Dave

rimus

Awesome! thanks guys. I'm getting more and more excited to try out the Flyer. I'll be sure to get a bit more beginner friendly props and drivers. Thanks for the Items suggestions really helps.