Getting Started with EPP scratch building

SSgt Duramax

Ok, I am ready to take the plunge on EPP, and I would like some input from those experienced.

Of course, me being stubborn, I would like to scratch build, and I would like to learn some building techniques.

I have been lurking in RC Groups, and much like here, there is lots of info to dig through, and no real centralized place for it. Although the number of know it alls with no actual experience offering advice is higher. I am trying to gather up what materials I need. For the purposes of this experiment, lets say my budget is ~$100 including shipping.

I will more than likely be buying my foam here, as it seems that their prices are decent and they actually have stuff in stock.

So I want to build 3 planes.

The first and most obvious is a 3D profile plane. I have found plans and a how to for these. What thickness of foam do I need, 10mm? Carbon fiber supports/spars?

Next is a full fuselage bush type plane. Maybe something similar to this?

https://twistedhobbys.com/th-39-epp-puddle-star/

It doesn't need to be a twin. I feel like I could do airfoil wings by either getting the thinner stuff, and folding it around or shaping the airfoil. With that being said, I don't really want to get into hotwire foam cutting yet. I am opposed to it really only on the grounds that my garage is packed full of tools and stuff, and I don't want to add to the mix. I could also 3D print or otherwise make some formers and go that route.

As far as the fuselage, do I want to get the 1 inch thick stuff, and have a thick beefy fuselage, or do I want to do something thinner with some inner reinforcement and structure? I also thought I could get maybe some half inch, do bevel cuts in it, and fold it together in a box fuselage like that with only one seam.

Then I was going to build a profile trainer for my daughter. Probably something like this but a little larger.

http://fancyfoam.com/EzFly-Trainer-Kit_p_105.html

That obviously looks like one thicker piece, plus thinner pieces to make the KFM airfoil.

Any ideas or pointers?

alan0043

Hi SSgt,

I put this video in the thread so you can get some ideas. The Fenix 100 is made from EPP foam. Right now the Lazer Toy website is down till April. I have seen pictures of the Fenix with a reinforced nose. There are side plates that glue to the firewall and the sides of the fuselage. I have you can get some ideas. Good luck on your project. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Ok, I am ready to take the plunge on EPP, and I would like some input from those experienced.

Of course, me being stubborn, I would like to scratch build, and I would like to learn some building techniques.

I have been lurking in RC Groups, and much like here, there is lots of info to dig through, and no real centralized place for it. Although the number of know it alls with no actual experience offering advice is higher. I am trying to gather up what materials I need. For the purposes of this experiment, lets say my budget is ~$100 including shipping.

I will more than likely be buying my foam here, as it seems that their prices are decent and they actually have stuff in stock.

So I want to build 3 planes.

The first and most obvious is a 3D profile plane. I have found plans and a how to for these. What thickness of foam do I need, 10mm? Carbon fiber supports/spars?

Next is a full fuselage bush type plane. Maybe something similar to this?

https://twistedhobbys.com/th-39-epp-puddle-star/

It doesn't need to be a twin. I feel like I could do airfoil wings by either getting the thinner stuff, and folding it around or shaping the airfoil. With that being said, I don't really want to get into hotwire foam cutting yet. I am opposed to it really only on the grounds that my garage is packed full of tools and stuff, and I don't want to add to the mix. I could also 3D print or otherwise make some formers and go that route.

As far as the fuselage, do I want to get the 1 inch thick stuff, and have a thick beefy fuselage, or do I want to do something thinner with some inner reinforcement and structure? I also thought I could get maybe some half inch, do bevel cuts in it, and fold it together in a box fuselage like that with only one seam.

Then I was going to build a profile trainer for my daughter. Probably something like this but a little larger.

http://fancyfoam.com/EzFly-Trainer-Kit_p_105.html

That obviously looks like one thicker piece, plus thinner pieces to make the KFM airfoil.

Any ideas or pointers?
So for EPP definitely go to windcatcher RC, been ordering from him and it's good stuff. I'd go with 6mm for the 3d plane of the #1.3 stuff. As for carbon there is a whole array of different sizes and shapes for different parts of the build so I can't really say what to get exactly, it really depends on what airplane you're building. Let me talk with Sam and I may be able to get you the V1 plans for the profile raven and I'll have a list of the carbon you need. Hopefully this helps a bit.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Btw these are the V1 Ravens
IMG_20220223_012435714.jpg
IMG_20220223_012424404.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Nice, thanks guys. I am definitely going to order from windcatcher. I got to looking at the EPP planes I wanted and came to the assumption that I could build my own for a third of the cost. Not that I want to take any money out of a small businesses pocket or anything, but I do like building myself.