Readi-Board Change???

dlabrie

I bought a carton of Adam's Readi-Board and kept running into trouble trying to build a powerpod. Come to find out my new RB is thinner than the older stuff. Has anyone else run into this?
rb2.jpg

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I bought a carton of Adam's Readi-Board and kept running into trouble trying to build a powerpod. Come to find out my new RB is thinner than the older stuff. Has anyone else run into this?
View attachment 241194
Pretty sure it's not a "change" so much as a normal tolerance fluctuation in manufacturing. I've purchased Adams Readi-Board with thicknesses from 4.4mm to 5.2mm.

Foamforce

I got one bad batch that was only 3mm. Really bad. That’s another thing pushing me toward using only FT foam board.

Brian B

Elite member
Try Pen+Gear foamboard at WalMart. Less wavy than DTFB, cheaper (.98 vs 1.25), more consistent thickness, and adhesive between the paper and the foam seems stronger.

Looking forward to the new Maker Foam FT is talking about.

dlabrie

Try Pen+Gear foamboard at WalMart. Less wavy than DTFB, cheaper (.98 vs 1.25), more consistent thickness, and adhesive between the paper and the foam seems stronger.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

Tench745

Master member

It's a much more consistent foamboard, but the paper is heavier than the Adams stuff, so watch your CG. If I remember correctly it's about half way between Adams and Elmers foams weight-wise.

Brian B

Elite member
Good point. There WAS another option at Walmart, that was a lighter than the very heavy Elmer (don't recall the name), but this new PinGear showed up within just this year. It is lighter than Elmers and that other Wallyworld option, but true it is slightly heavier than Adams. I just measured a 6"x6" section of both: Adams = 6g and Pen = 8g

dlabrie

I had written to RB and here is their reply...
Our customer service department has relayed the following; "Our foam board thickness is a nominal measurement. There may be slight variations from carton to carton."

Based on personal crafting experience, I have noticed that how the boards are stored, and even the temperature where they are stored can sometimes affect them. For instance, I try to keep all of my boards pressed between two solid objects. The temperatures (and humidity for that matter) in my crafting area fluctuate and making sure there isn't any wiggle room between the boards keeps them more uniform. Unfortunately this also applies to how they are stored between our production line and when they hit the shelves. Dollar Tree allows people to order a full case through their website. I would expect the boards to be more uniform within a single case, rather than matching single boards off the shelf.