Glowforge 3d laser cutter?

Revere

Does anyone have any details on the soon to be released Glowforge 3d laser cutter? Max volume of cut-able material etc?
I'm thinking it could be awesome for creating full detailed and difficult shapes from block foam, especially for scale models (cowls, cockpits canopys, wing roots, curved hull sections and wing airfoils etc).
Unfortunately their website is somewhat lacking in specs and though they have real nice videos of finished products they don't show the cutter in action to gauge relevant sizes from.

Website is here for those that are interested. (NOTE: they call it a 3d laser "printer", It isn't, it's a laser cutter. It removes material as opposed to building it up, like a 3d c&c machine but with lasers instead of milling heads).

Last edited:

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
What makes this different from any other laser cutter? It looks like everything that they show it can make is just something constructed from 2d materials that can be cut with a 2d laser cutter than assembled. Unless this thing has hands inside that can assemble it for you?

Revere

That's part of what I want to know, they compare it to both 3d printers AND laser cutters in the blurb, the other sites that I have read about it on also compare it to both, but the lack of detail on the site and in the publicity on other sites leaves a lot of questions. I am asking here in the hopes that someone who pays more attention to this stuff more regularly than I do has maybe heard more about it.
What makes me think it is seriously 3d is how much it has raised ($10.3 million) as I don't see why 4 companies would pay that kind of cash unless there was something to it, I mean why would they lay down that kind of cash to develope something that already exists in a much cheaper form?
The lack of detailed information the company is providing is a pain.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Some progress on the GlowForge 3d lazer printer. http://glowforge.com/

The pro version will do 20" x ~ (@12" at a time) for $3995. so it will work for DTFB.

Looks cool, but still way more $$$ than just using a Exacto blade for me.

bstanley72

Wouldn't a CNC router/mill be a better option and a lot less expensive? The XCarve will do 31 inches x 31 inches plus a couple of inches in the z axis.

taswas

Looks like a nice piece of kit. Other than ease of lining up workpieces and the ability to scan and cut or raster images drawn directly to a workpiece it seems essentially The same as any 2d laser cutter. I keep wondering when somebody will make a laser cutter with a rotating cutting head. I think that would be considered a 3d machine.

dantheman

I saw some more info on this lasercutter actually this morning. Some of the more interesting points are how easy it is to setup. It will auto-detect the material and run a test pattern where you can easily set up the cuts for full, half or whatever. It can also run multiple types of media at the same time. The Pro model also has a pass through feature that lets you run an almost unlimited length piece of material through. Once it is done with one section, you push the material forward and it will automatically find its zero again and continue to print.

The pro model is ~$4k though. That is massively outside of my price range but this is the first laser cutter where I feel that I could actually get some use out of it. Others on the market are too nuanced for me to effectively use them without a large amount of time dedication. I am pushing our local makers group to get one, and then hopefully I can use it there.