GPS Does not work with HK Multiwii pro

ikarus12

Hello to everyone,
Recently I decided to built my first quad. I got amongst other a FC from hobbyking, the Multiwii pro with with MTK GPS.
I uploaded the sketch (version 2.3),after correcting the magnetic declination and adjusted the baud rate for the gps and all the proper values in the sketch. Everything seemed it was done right but I couldn't get the gps to work.
Any kind of help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Chris

ikarus12

Thanks Hawkman for the reply. I Know a lit bit about computer programming and this made it a bit easier. I did check everything, RX and TX and tried different version of the sketch. My conclusion is that the signal does not get through from the GPS board to FC. Maybe the GPS is faulty. I did make a mistake to connect GND and 5V pins other way around and I don't Know if this caused any damage. The thing is I am looking for another GPS module to try. Do you you know any that might work with the multiwii pro.? ( I think I'll post this as a different thread ). Thanks again
Regards

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
ikarus,

I did find on mine, the ROM on the GPS itself was out of date. I doubt HK has fixed this. You'll need an FTDI (or arduino with an FTDI installed to talk to the GPS and flash it's firmware.

Been so long since I've done it, that's about as complete a description as I can drum up.

A fair description of the process and link to the software needed:

https://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/MediaTek

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
ikarus, could you upload a screenshot of your code where you implement the GPS, and maybe a picture of the GPS connected to the board. I also went with MWP for my first quad and successfully got the GPS going. I would sent you my code to compare, but unfortunately it is on my old computer at home while I'm stuck here at college.

ikarus12

Dan your suggestion sounds right. As long as I have access to the code I might do something there. It's the only thing left anyway. Thank you.

ikarus12

Snarls thank you for your reply. Here are some pictures of the whole issue.
As you can see in the middle picture of the GUI the HOME turns green (lower left)
when I activate the GPS. The PKT indicator should blink red-green but it doesn't.

Capture_3.jpg Capture_4.jpg 201502a.jpg

ikarus12

My initial thoughts were right. The GPS is dead. I tried to upload the latest version of firmware. but the computer could not see it, no mater what I did. And I did a lot. Thank you for the time you took to help. Subject closed, moving on.
I am thinking of getting the CRIUS NEO 6M. Any thoughts about that?

ikarus12

For those who will refer to this thread , I changed the MTK gps for a Ublox 6M and now works like a charm !!!