Guillows Cessna 150 RC Conversion

Sammyk

3D printing scratchbuilds
Hey guys, this is my first Balsa build so bear with me on this build. I am converting a Guillows 150 to remote-control. Currently I am taking flying lessons in a 150, and it is an amazing plane to fly. So far, I have started the control surfaces and tail section. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really don't have a great idea of what I'm doing in the conversion aspect. Thanks :D

DSCN0456.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Welcome to the world of balsa!

Since you ask for suggestions, for your first build I'd really recommend just building the plane as it was designed without converting it to RC. Doing the conversion has probably been done a bunch of times, but it does require some skill to make the changes required while keeping it light enough to fly. The big trick is learning to make it just strong enough to withstand the forces of flight, while not adding any unnecessary material (extra weight).

But that's just my opinion. :)

As mentioned, these conversions really require keeping things as light as possible. You have already probably looked at details on how other people have done the conversions. Some people simply go insane with making the plane light, and the workmanship can be very impressive. Please keep posting the progress as you move along!

Sammyk

3D printing scratchbuilds
Welcome to the world of balsa!

Since you ask for suggestions, for your first build I'd really recommend just building the plane as it was designed without converting it to RC. Doing the conversion has probably been done a bunch of times, but it does require some skill to make the changes required while keeping it light enough to fly. The big trick is learning to make it just strong enough to withstand the forces of flight, while not adding any unnecessary material (extra weight).

But that's just my opinion. :)

As mentioned, these conversions really require keeping things as light as possible. You have already probably looked at details on how other people have done the conversions. Some people simply go insane with making the plane light, and the workmanship can be very impressive. Please keep posting the progress as you move along!

Thanks for the suggestion! I may try and build another small project like one of the 700 series kits in standard rubber band configuration to gain experience.

I have this kit in a box somewhere.... Check out some of the Guillows conversions on RC Groups, there are some pretty good builds. There are a few of this plane.