Guillows Piper Cherokee (#307) 4 channel conversion

Mr.McGoo

I've recently picked up a couple of Guillows kits on ebay, the Javelin and the Piper Cherokee.

I intend on converting both to 4 channel flight and I've started work on the Cherokee.

There are several build logs on RC groups which are very useful and identify several pitfalls and changes to make this a good flyer, including a progressive airfoil, washout and increased control surface area.

One significant challenge with the Cherokee is the small wing area and therefore high wing loading. I started out by adding an inch to each wing with the addition of an extra F3 rib each side and should increase the wingspan from 20" to about 22".

Photo 10-01-2017, 15 09 05.jpg

Next I added 2mm of washout to the wingtips while adding the 1/32" stringers. I achieved this by simply shimming up the leading edge of the root by 2mm while glueing in the stringers. It's likely this will need tweaking when covering.

Photo 10-01-2017, 17 16 54.jpg

The fuselage started to come together relatively easily, its not a complicated kit, but for my caveman hands its very fragile and I had to make several repairs to the formers. While constructing the fuse I started to consider how I would install and access the electronics. One builder on RCGroups made a removable wing which initially seemed like the way I would do it, but I think I will now have fixed wings and instead make a blue foam hatch for a large part of the top front fuse.

The hatch is likely to run from the 1st former to the third and incorporate the shape of the cockpit, replacing the top half of the formers entirely.

Photo 12-01-2017, 07 46 59.jpg

Mr.McGoo

Power system

This will surely be an indoor flyer, but even so given the wing area and potential loading it will need some power to perform the loops and rolls I want. I hope to have the AUW under 150g.

I have a couple of options for motor and am very open to any suggested alternatives to the whole power system!

RX: OrangeRX R614XN DIY receiver (0.5g)

Servos: Blue Arrow Digital MG Micro servos (3g)

Motor 1: Turnigy D1306-4000kv (11.5g)

Motor 2: QAV1306-3100kv (12g)

Motor 1 would pull about 200g with a 6020 and Motor 2 would pull over 240g on a 5030. If I opted for a 3s setup the QAV motor would give over 380g thrust!

ESC: Hobbyking 10A ESC (8g)

Battery: Turnigy Nano-tech 300mah 2s

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Looks like a cool project. I've only started a Guillows kit, but never finished one, so that P-40 is still sitting in the box half-built. Maybe some day soon I'll finish it off as a static display (it's built WAY too heavy to fly well).

AerodromeChris

Anyone out there tried using the FT mini power pack for a Guillows conversion? I've been thinking of giving it a try on my Sopwith Camel.

Mr.McGoo

I've not tried, but I think it will be to heavy and way overpowered. Arent they 2204 motors? The 13 im planning is borderline overkill.

Mr.McGoo

Spent a little more time on the Cherokee build today - broke some more formers! haha. It seems every time I touch it I break something!

Anyway, I started work on the removable styrofoam cockpit and I'm quite pleased with the shape - it may not be quite scale but it will pass.

I've also added a small tray to hold the battery and receiver.

Photo 17-01-2017, 16 38 09.jpg

Photo 17-01-2017, 17 11 34.jpg