has anyone successfully added a center section yo the versa?

rifled

I've seen many post about people adding a center section to the versa wing to accommodate the battery flight control board, and fpv gear but has anyone gotten it to fly well? Would adding an 8 inch center change the cog?

Are there any build logs that anyone knows of? I'd appreciate any info I can't seem to find anyone that says they have gotten it to work well but I don't think I'll get my gear inside the original versa.

Flat4

I have successfully added a 6 inch section to my night flying versa wing, with great results. I didn't take a lot of photos for the build, but the only thing I really changed from the plans was add a 16inch spar in the center of the wing. The added center section removed some of the stiffness through the wing without it. You can see a few pics of it here http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?5192-Versa-Wing-for-Night-Flight!!-Post-your-pics!!&p=90680#post90680

I know I also saw Red20RC do something very similar. He went into quite a bit of depth with his build. Check it out here http://flitetest.com/articles/fpv-wing-2-0

I believe the only difference between ours was I raised my center section up about 3/8 inch higher than the standard versa wing, to allow a 2200 3S to fit completely inside the wing without have to cut holes for it.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

rifled

Great thanks! Did you use the same cog as the versa or did the center section change the center of gravity?

Tactical Ex

I added a center section to my versa. There is a scratchbuild article I made detailing it, just look for "Wyvern" in the articles. I am also testing a swappable compatible pusher pod that I will make available when I get it working right. Just check my topic to find it, I'm using a phone to post this so copying a link is hard.

Flat4

Great thanks! Did you use the same cog as the versa or did the center section change the center of gravity?

I started out using the Versa's CG but ended up moving it a bit further forward. It was flying a bit squirrely before I moved it forward, I'm not sure how much however since I just kept adding and testing until it felt good.