Help! Has anyone took UMX Turbo Timber receiver and put in a new plane and re-programmed AS3X?

a_bibo

Hello, my 2 year old son destroyed my UMX Turbo Timber. So I bought a Stevens Areo model Swift 100 to put all the UMX Turbo Timber guts into.

The build was going great until I started to test the receiver brick once installed in the Swift. Since the control horns for the elevator and rudder are opposite from the UMX Turbo Timber I just simply reversed the channels on my transmitter. Sadly SAFE and the AS3X control directions are reversed. So I thought if I could reverse the servo directions at the board it would also change the AS3X / SAFE gains to match the servo direction.

So I found Spektrum directions to change the on board servo directions at the board level by powering on the receiver while holding the transmitter control sticks in different directions based on the desired channel to change. Trust me, I followed the directions exactly. This did nothing. So I did a fresh re-bind and still wont work. I do hear the motor chimes but I think all its doing is a motor calibration. There are supposed to be 3 led light flashes to confrim the change. I even tried a different transmitter and still no luck.

After scouring the internet I did find a forum on Hobby Squack that discusses moving SAFE recievers from a bought plane are different than the receivers if boughten stand alone. From what I understood from this article is that Horizon Hobbies “locks” the settings on these recievers. Below is the thread link.

Vhttps://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/electronics-and-rc-accessories/gyros-and-flight-stabilizers-rc-models/43954-moving-spektrum-as3x-and-safe-receivers-to-a-different-plane

So after more internet research it appears that I can re-program the AS3X if I get the UM AS3X program cable and find a old laptop running Windows XP or Vista.

So my questions:

Has anyone put a UMX Turbo Timber in a new scratch build and how did it go?

Is it fact that the UMX Turbo Timber receiver brick is “locked” for board level sevro reversal changes? Has anyone out there successfully reversed the on board servo directions at the board level? If yes, please provide details!! Also, will this reverse the corresponding AS3X gains?

Has anyone successfully re-programmed the UMX Turbo Timber AS3X receiver brick?

Does SAFE settings basically follow AS3X changes? In other words, if I reverse any of the AS3X gains on the programmer does SAFE automatically react in the same way?

If I have have AS3X activated on the gear channel per the programmer, what happens to SAFE?

Thanks in advance to the help out there.

Bibo

wildbill3

I was able to reprogram my AR636a receiver from a mini apprentice s using the PC cable and what a learned from the above two links.

Its now had multiple flights in a nitro 40 thunder tiger trainer, with "beginner mode" and "expert mode".

Bricks

Master member
Good job...... with the great directions in the link not that hard to do, thanks to all the guys putting so much effort into all the info on programming the AS2X receivers.

wildbill3

Seriously! The huge amount of information was a little overwhelming at first, but after a few days of reading and a couple attempts I was able to reprogram successfully. Big thanks to those who put all this information together l.

a_bibo

Hello, my 2 year old son destroyed my UMX Turbo Timber. So I bought a Stevens Areo model Swift 100 to put all the UMX Turbo Timber guts into.

The build was going great until I started to test the receiver brick once installed in the Swift. Since the control horns for the elevator and rudder are opposite from the UMX Turbo Timber I just simply reversed the channels on my transmitter. Sadly SAFE and the AS3X control directions are reversed. So I thought if I could reverse the servo directions at the board it would also change the AS3X / SAFE gains to match the servo direction.

So I found Spektrum directions to change the on board servo directions at the board level by powering on the receiver while holding the transmitter control sticks in different directions based on the desired channel to change. Trust me, I followed the directions exactly. This did nothing. So I did a fresh re-bind and still wont work. I do hear the motor chimes but I think all its doing is a motor calibration. There are supposed to be 3 led light flashes to confrim the change. I even tried a different transmitter and still no luck.

After scouring the internet I did find a forum on Hobby Squack that discusses moving SAFE recievers from a bought plane are different than the receivers if boughten stand alone. From what I understood from this article is that Horizon Hobbies “locks” the settings on these recievers. Below is the thread link.

Vhttps://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/electronics-and-rc-accessories/gyros-and-flight-stabilizers-rc-models/43954-moving-spektrum-as3x-and-safe-receivers-to-a-different-plane

So after more internet research it appears that I can re-program the AS3X if I get the UM AS3X program cable and find a old laptop running Windows XP or Vista.

So my questions:

Has anyone put a UMX Turbo Timber in a new scratch build and how did it go?

Is it fact that the UMX Turbo Timber receiver brick is “locked” for board level sevro reversal changes? Has anyone out there successfully reversed the on board servo directions at the board level? If yes, please provide details!! Also, will this reverse the corresponding AS3X gains?

Has anyone successfully re-programmed the UMX Turbo Timber AS3X receiver brick?

Does SAFE settings basically follow AS3X changes? In other words, if I reverse any of the AS3X gains on the programmer does SAFE automatically react in the same way?

If I have have AS3X activated on the gear channel per the programmer, what happens to SAFE?

Thanks in advance to the help out there.

Bibo
So here is an update on re-programming my receiver brick from a UMX Turbo Timber (EFLA6421BL). I ordered the UM (SPMA3060) programming cable. I tried it last night, absolutely no luck. The receiver brick would not activate X-Port which is required to re-program AS3X. I tried for hours. So this morning I called Horizon Hobbies. Sadly this receiver is completely locked. So I guess this is the end of the story unless I order the receiver AS6410NBL which is not “locked” and is able to be re-programmed. I have spent a ton of time (and unfortunately money) to learn this lesson. In fairness to me, the UMX Turbo Timer receiver brick has a X-Port plug on the brick and many on-line hobby stores note that’s this programmer cable works with the UMX Turbo Timber.