Having trouble with scratchbuilds, most won't even glide properly

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
No that's exactly who I got it from, but he doesn't seem to do anything for preventing racking. I even saw a comment where someone asked about bracing, and he said he didn't think it was needed.

However, mine does. Even just sitting the plane on a table, the weight of the plane itself causes it to go out of square and be kinda floppy before I added my triangles.

I guess my braces are sufficient for the time being. I was just looking for better solutions or if anyone else had suggestions.

My braces easily remove the paper on the inside of the tube, negating their benefit.
remove the paper before vluing them on, and try closing up the fuselage in the back, with an angel like experimental airlines (forgot his name) does on some of his planes. Also make sure that the corners are glued properly, as hot glue should prevent that from happening. Its weird that it tilts from the weight of the plane

remove the paper before vluing them on, and try closing up the fuselage in the back, with an angel like experimental airlines (forgot his name) does on some of his planes. Also make sure that the corners are glued properly, as hot glue should prevent that from happening. Its weird that it tilts from the weight of the plane
I mean honestly it makes perfect sense, coming from a woodworking background. A square has nothing to prevent it from turning into a parallelogram other than just the corners. Factor in leverage on the vertices, and yeah it'll rack without diagonals.

Perhaps I am a bit more particular than most. I shoulda said it racks under the pressure of my hand simply holding it, not its weight.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I mean honestly it makes perfect sense, coming from a woodworking background. A square has nothing to prevent it from turning into a parallelogram other than just the corners. Factor in leverage on the vertices, and yeah it'll rack without diagonals.

Perhaps I am a bit more particular than most. I shoulda said it racks under the pressure of my hand simply holding it, not its weight.
Interesting.... Looking at the pics in post #3 I can't tell if you're using FT style A or B folds, the outside of the corner looks too rounded for that type of fold.

@FlyerInStyle I realized after posting that, I need to remove the paper and glue foam to foam for situations that require strength. Thank you!

@Mr NCT I am not using A/B folds, but rather removing the paper on the inside and bending that. I did decide to add more diagonals though, and this is my workaround until I tweak it over time. It works good enough.

Guys!!! I actually flew the dang thing! For at least 45sec in one instance, did a few circles to the left and right.

I was so blown away that it just, took off perfectly and flew away into the sunset. Then I realized oh crap, rudder! I even had a VERY low save. I even crashed it a couple times, threw it and flew it again.

I don't think it could have handled any better! The scary part is, I'm not exactly sure what made it work that much better. I did a couple things, like adding more right/down angle to the motor, trimmed in some right rudder and slight bit of up elevator and made CG at 25%.

The front part of the fuselage is going to need to be replaced, since it is crumpled like a soda can hockey puck. So hopefully I build it the same way again.

Sorry for the video having some dead parts, I put my phone on a stick and it goes out of view.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
@FlyerInStyle I realized after posting that, I need to remove the paper and glue foam to foam for situations that require strength. Thank you!

@Mr NCT I am not using A/B folds, but rather removing the paper on the inside and bending that. I did decide to add more diagonals though, and this is my workaround until I tweak it over time. It works good enough.

Guys!!! I actually flew the dang thing! For at least 45sec in one instance, did a few circles to the left and right.

I was so blown away that it just, took off perfectly and flew away into the sunset. Then I realized oh crap, rudder! I even had a VERY low save. I even crashed it a couple times, threw it and flew it again.

I don't think it could have handled any better! The scary part is, I'm not exactly sure what made it work that much better. I did a couple things, like adding more right/down angle to the motor, trimmed in some right rudder and slight bit of up elevator and made CG at 25%.

The front part of the fuselage is going to need to be replaced, since it is crumpled like a soda can hockey puck. So hopefully I build it the same way again.

Sorry for the video having some dead parts, I put my phone on a stick and it goes out of view.
Congrats on the successful flights. Nose as crumple zone is the rule rather than the exception :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Congrats on the successful flights. Nose as crumple zone is the rule rather than the exception :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Thanks man! You were a help, especially your checking controls part where you broke it down.

It's the ship of Theseus, at what point does it become a new plane?

I think the crumple zone part is exactly right, but also, good for the plane. Similar to cars becoming safer when they can absorb the impact vs passing it through to the people... People go squish and there ain't no fixing that.