• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hawkeye Glider to sub 250 FPV RC

Hondo76251

I wanted to do a little fixed wing FPV proximity flying and the HiTec Hawkeye's are some of the toughest airframes I've used.

I wanted to keep the prop small, and in the least likely spot to get damaged so I went with a center overhead pusher configuration. I (hopefully) pointed the motor downwards enough that the angle of thrust is just a bit forward of the CG.

The hawkeye's can fly quite well on 3 channel if you give them enough rudder area but I prefer 4, especially for FPV flying...

Hondo76251

In the glider I'm working on in that last video I was trying to use the built in ESC on the spektrum board but it is only rated for 5 amps and I may have smoked it while testing the other day... :oops:

In the mean time I've got another conversion I've been working on that is similar except I went with a twin engine setup instead of a pusher.

I really like the way this one flies and with the AS3x giving the relatively small plane a very smooth flight I think the FPV from this one will be nice...

Hondo76251

@Hondo76251 - you seem to like the twin props?
Twin motors and 2 blade props all the way!

I dont do any 3d flying, the occasional low inverted pass is about as fancy as I get so I dont find that i need the "grip" of 3 or 4 blades.

I like longer flight times so I also prefer bi-blades for the efficiency. I seem to get by with longer props too, just like in that video. I'm running a large 3" prop on a tiny 1103 10000kv motor. That would never work if I were doing full throttle maneuvers all the time but most of those flights were at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle.

All that aside, probably the #1 reason I fly twin blades is the need to belly land most of my planes. Even on planes like my DH Comet with low slung nacelles, I rarely break a prop.

Hondo76251

Well... Turns out I did kill the ESC in the board.

Oh well... I needed to put an external esc on anyway to run the motor I wanted. HOWEVER, in the process of troubleahooting I wanted to change the power lead to make it longer and go to a different plug. Apparently some of the little pig tails i got have the red/black wires switched. Its happened to me before so I should've known to check that but I wasn't paying attention. I smoked the board good... :cautious:

I have a lot of receivers I could use but I really wanted the AS3x on it so I ordered another Spektrum micro, this time without the esc (and not 50% off like before :cry:)

Hurry up and wait...

mayan

Well... Turns out I did kill the ESC in the board.

Oh well... I needed to put an external esc on anyway to run the motor I wanted. HOWEVER, in the process of troubleahooting I wanted to change the power lead to make it longer and go to a different plug. Apparently some of the little pig tails i got have the red/black wires switched. Its happened to me before so I should've known to check that but I wasn't paying attention. I smoked the board good... :cautious:

I have a lot of receivers I could use but I really wanted the AS3x on it so I ordered another Spektrum micro, this time without the esc (and not 50% off like before :cry:)

Hurry up and wait...
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Hondo76251

Got side tracked by other projects, haven't finished the pusher FPV Hawkeye I started in the first video, but I did manage to get some footage of my twin motor version doing some fun FPV Flights in the nice weather the last few days...