Help! He inspired us to look up - FoamyDM's Hayao Miyazaki Challenge - Let's get building!

Next Nausicaä craft build

• Mehve (glider Nausicaä rode)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Tormekian Tranport ship

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Pejite Gunship

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • An Insect build

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Robyle3

What do you mean by COG issues, Like mechanical Failures (such as Servos)? Switch to metal gear if you can spare the weight penalty.
Sorry, my phone autocorrected to cog, I meant CG. I left it because cog (center of gravity) kinda works, too.

Robyle3

I know it didn't exist when the movie was made, but the icon A5 looks remarkably similar to the jet boat glider.
ICON-A5.jpg 269010_83a0b444e874f89a42ad7c2895b48dba.png

Robyle3

Haha, when I cast my vote it was perfectly split between the bottom three options, 33% each.....with only three people XD

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Haha, when I cast my vote it was perfectly split between the bottom three options, 33% each.....with only three people XD
The insect build is definitely the most challenging and exciting for me. All I can say is keep watching this thread

FoamyDM

This thread is just starting and will last all Year! Please consider joining if you have enjoy just one of Myazaki's Films.
I have updated Post # 2

Last edited:

Robyle3

I regret that there are no plans for the Dinah for the foreseeable future. I just don't have software to draw any up. But for the KA-14, I have an idea on how to cheat some plans into existence. And if that works, then I'll try doing that for the Dinah.

FoamyDM

I started building the bumblecrow, 50% sized.
I need to work out the nose better... But that won't effect the flying.
IMG_20200217_004922527.jpg
IMG_20200217_004928876.jpg

FoamyDM

I regret that there are no plans for the Dinah for the foreseeable future. I just don't have software to draw any up. But for the KA-14, I have an idea on how to cheat some plans into existence. And if that works, then I'll try doing that for the Dinah.
If you need help going digital, I might be able to help.

DokCosmac

Nice looking Tolmekian ship. I finally got in some new Maker Foam to build another Mowe... this last one spent about a month in a tree, with broken wingtips and elevons flapping around in the wind and rain:
20200215_162434[1].jpg

The foam and batteries were ruined, but all the other gear still works. At least I won't have to paint these anymore with the new white foam.

FoamyDM

I have been putting together the Tormekian Heavy Air Transport. a.k.a the bumble crow.

I build the spar as one piece, but then broke it into two halves for transport. I then added the inner alignment-spar.
IMG_20200304_230903027.jpg
IMG_20200304_230850168.jpg

With out the rear rudder tail surfaces, It's looking great, however, with such a downward washout, this is going to be a bear to balance out.
IMG_20200304_230800489.jpg

I need to add the wheels too. won't be long.

FoamyDM

Hi Everyone who is watching this Thread... The was put on hold temporarily. The TANK works but the treads just aren't durable made from Foam. However, the 3d printing Community has a NUMBER of great track systems just the right size for the tank. I have printed one and I think it is possible to make the body in foam. I was expecting more torque from these servos but I suppose it makes sense.

Next build will be the corvette and put the H=pack on the Air transport the balance is REALLY tight on the mode, based on the glide tests so far.