Hello! I'm new!

Tom3052

Hello! I'm Tom. I have been flying for a little over twenty years. I took a bit of a leave from hobbies in general when I got married and started having kids. I'm getting back into it now, thanks to the concept of foam board planes. I scratch build. My first one that is mostly complete is an FT simple cub. I tweaked the plans a tad, adding 3/4" of length to each wing section to utilize the full width of a sheet of board. I skipped the dihedral step so it's a flat wing. With some oversized tires, I'm going for a bush STOL plane. I just started on an FT mustang as well. I'm contemplating cutting flaps into it. It doesn't need them, but it would look super cool. Has anyone had any success with servoless retracts on foam board models? That's another thing I am considering. I look forward to the introduction of the standard swappable size scout as that might be #3. I also want to do a Lancaster bomber. A big one. 60" or bigger wingspan. I'll probably engineer that one myself. I fathom that four mini swappables should have enough thrust. Either a Lancaster or a C-120 with swappable cargo pods and all. My 3 year old daughter is adamant that these are her planes. I will build one for her. A pink sparrow probably. I will make it RC, maybe a plane launched glider or an EDF glued into the V of the tail as someone has previously recommended to me.

I like to take my kids to the park and fly there regularly. Unfortunately, I live right next to an air force base, so I can't fly around my house. I often drive to a model airport in salt lake city (I live in Layton) to fly with my brother. He's been flying since before I was born. He has been on flight teams and what not. He's also getting back into the hobby. We have our oldest nephew tag along with us. He is learning. I'm trying to get him on the foam board board wagon. I think an FT explorer is right up his alley. My brother is a little skeptical of the foam board thing. It's not cool to him. He's a Nitro guy turning to Gas now that the 10cc and 15cc are getting good. I think he might dig a streamer combat plane though.

So that's me in a nutshell.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Let me bet the first to welcome you aboard to the Flite Test Forums. and Welcome back to the hobby!

I've been here and to the hobby only a year. The folks are are just helpful and supportive.

Enjoy, re-find your passion for RC here. :D

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Howdy Tom,
Wow! Usually When I welcome new members to the forum I also ask a few questions but it would seem you've covered everything.

A friend of mine has been plunging in to the hobby and made an FT Sparrow which his kids are enjoying, even the fairly young ones. Actually one of his younger boys (4 years old I think) throws it better than anyone.

By the way, photos and videos are authorized and encouraged around here. Actually, there's a saying that basically says "if you can't show us, it didn't happen". Must've been someone from MO who got that going. Nevertheless we do enjoy 'em.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice introduction mate.

You really need to get your brother on a foamie. Watch what he will do with it once he realizes he can do all the crazy things he wanted to do with his big ones but never wanted to take the risk. In any case get us some video of all you guys doing your thing as this forum runs off of pics n vids and that will power it for days with a blend of foam and wood and gas and nitro all in the air at once.

Tom3052

FB_IMG_1507777224881.jpg
Took me a while to figure out how to put pictures up from my phone. My son hid the mouse to our computer again... Here's most of all my brother's planes.
FB_IMG_1507777240862.jpg
Here's another angle. He has a mix of nitro, gas, and electric. All the non electric planes are 15+ years old now. The electric ones are all newer.

Last edited:

Tom3052

So I printed out the tiled plans and stitched them together. The stitch line on the wing made a perfect line to cut and lengthen the wing. I stretched it about 3/4" to get the full 20" width out of the board.
IMG_20170908_110919_zpsfcmasuji.jpg

For the sake of reusability, I glued the parts onto poster board and cut them out. This makes for very sturdy templates.
IMG_20170908_110925_zpsmh8pc0is.jpg

And here it is sans electronics and landing gear.
IMG_20170914_024900_zpsucw720op.jpg

Last edited: