Hello - New from the UK

Zeratul

Hello from UK - first build?

Hi. I've just started into flying FPV after building a QAV250 but have caught the bug for flying a fixed wing FT Foam Board.

Watched nearly all the videos!

So - what would be a 'not too bad an option for a first timer'? As I'm really not keen on flying a FT Flyer or Mighty Mini Sparrow etc. I know I would build it, fly it and enjoy flying it... but would get tired of it quickly and then leave it.

My first thoughts was a FT Spitfire as this looked slower than the FT Racer (which also looks cool)! The Spitfire is also marked as a Novice flyer but read somewhere that, as a beginner, would break props everytime i land and it would be best to fit a folding prop and break.

I'm completely happy I'll be capable with the building etc.

Or should I go safer and go with the FT Old Speedster as this will self level better and is slower (is that right?).
Or, the FT Mini Vector looks like it would fly slow and fast quite comfortably.

Chances are I'll be flying in my village park or a small field behind where I live.

Cheers

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just saw your name and had to say Tera Kala judicator!!

From any standard RC recommendation starting out with a warbird is a no-no. On the other hand the way the FT warbirds have been built they seem to have less bad tendencies then the traditional balsa wood planes of the past. Depending on your flight experience and skills usually people start with a high wing to learn on.

I have watched nearly all the videos as well and think something like the yak would make an awesome first plane for anyone who has any flight experience. They are made to be all floaty as well as highly maneuverable and usually have some reasonably powerful motors so they could be flown for speed although not being the purpose they were designed. If you want speed dial the throws lower and zoom on if you want twisty turny craziness turn them back up. Just throwing another idea into the mix as well as to say hello to a fellow starcrater.

Welcome to Flite Test

Zeratul

Thanks for your advice and response PsyBorg. (...It's been many years since I've played that game!)
I'm really hooked on the idea of a foam board build so I can use the plans and build and source parts from the uk... It's too much shipping from the US and wanted something that I could repair when I crash! Yes, a warbird is probably not wise - but being new is it simply because it's too fast and doesn't self centre?
I had a look at a top wing build and saw the FT Storch. But it's quite big! Might scale it down?

OkieDave

I decided to start with the FT Simple Soarer. It looks fairly easy to build, is slow enough for me to learn on, provides options for later (motor glider? I did get a power pack), and I have a good friend who will help me learn who loves flying gliders, so he should have some good experience to share.

The Spitfire is also marked as a Novice flyer but read somewhere that, as a beginner, would break props everytime i land and it would be best to fit a folding prop and break.

That would be one of mine posts probably. :)
I have a similar background and have a Hubsan X4 and a 250 quad sitting beside my desk. Simulator training is a good thing.
Get something really cheap to learn on in the beginning, that can take a beating or build a tiny trainer. A VLtoys F959 should do nicely as a first trainer. Fly it for a few hours and then build your FT Spitfire. But be prepared to repair it a lot in the beginning. I've repaired mine more than 6 times since I built it. (22 November 2015, my first FT plane ever.) I also killed two LiPos.
Now it's modified with a hatch, a nose job and strengthened wing spars. And it's not a swappable anymore(same goes for my FT Storch). The FT Spitfire is really easy to fly but might not be the best as the first plane. (I had a VLtoys F949 that I learned to fly with during the winter, flown it in a indoor basketball/handball court.)

I had to crash my Storch yesterday because of heavy winds and proximity to the pits. (8-10m/s gusts, and close to stall during approach, safety first) But that only required about 10 minutes of repairs and a new prop.

If you have any more questions just ask around here on the forums.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Really if you have had any flight experience and have a digital radio you can dumb down any plane and make it a trainer to be honest. But the nice thing about Flite Test is all their planes have plans online so you can build any of their stuff without having to pay shipping from the states and source the parts closer to home.

Later down the road once you have a good grasp at flying put some money into a speed build kit to say thanks for the use of the free plans and so you can have a pretty and "Official" Flite test plane or maybe just buy a tee shirt or mug to help keep FT going. I am about to take a look in the store and see if I have enough to grab the bigger esc's and some 3 blade props now they stock them to upgrade my Versacopter to better suit 4s batteries.

Snafu

Hello fellow Starcraft player :)

I'm also from Worcestershire, and I've just built this http://i.imgur.com/n4p5Y68.jpg http://i.imgur.com/XI9qglN.jpg (not yet maidened it) - everything is still rubber banded on at the moment until I have got the COG worked out. This was built with Cellotex insulation board, a fibreglass arrow shaft and a depron laminate flooring insulation sheet for the wing and tail feathers (experimental airlines style wing) - based on Andrew Newton's 3 channel trainer http://newtonairlines.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/trainer

When I get around to getting some "real" foam board though, I'm going to have a go at an Old Fogey, I think that'll suit my slow hands.

If you want a couple of 1200 x 500 depron sheets to practice on (I've got a pack of 20) , or to make a rough first build to crash with (see above) or flying company, just let me know - always looking for quiet places to crash without too much of an audience :)

Zeratul

A VLtoys F959 should do nicely as a first trainer. Fly it for a few hours and then build your FT Spitfire. But be prepared to repair it a lot in the beginning.

I bought a VLtoys F959 on eBay for £32. As far as my 9yr old daughter is concerned, it's a gift for her and I can learn to fly it with her... She was happy with that! :)

Zeratul

Later down the road once you have a good grasp at flying put some money into a speed build kit to say thanks for the use of the free plans and so you can have a pretty and "Official" Flite test plane or maybe just buy a tee shirt or mug to help keep FT going. I am about to take a look in the store and see if I have enough to grab the bigger esc's and some 3 blade props now they stock them to upgrade my Versacopter to better suit 4s batteries.

TBH, I'm still buying a few things from the FT store, like the firewalls and control horns, as they are not as expensive to ship as it must way a lot less and not so bulky.

Zeratul

Hello fellow Starcraft player :)

I'm also from Worcestershire, and I've just built this http://i.imgur.com/n4p5Y68.jpg http://i.imgur.com/XI9qglN.jpg (not yet maidened it) - everything is still rubber banded on at the moment until I have got the COG worked out. This was built with Cellotex insulation board, a fibreglass arrow shaft and a depron laminate flooring insulation sheet for the wing and tail feathers (experimental airlines style wing) - based on Andrew Newton's 3 channel trainer http://newtonairlines.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/trainer

Hey Snafu. Nice to hear from someone in the uk :) and so close too. Your build looks impressive... No offence mate... But, although I think it will fly great... It does look like it's still in its packaging and needs unwrapping! ;) Let me know how you get on with the maiden tho.

I've already got the foam board sorted - £4.60 per A1, but appreciate the offer :). Unfortunately I think I'm going to spend too much time on the build and make it look a work of art before I smash it to the ground (being a graphic designer, attention to detail is an occupational hazard!).

daxian

Elite member
hi zeratul....
welcome to the addiction ....
£4.60 is a lot ....i get it for 22.50 off ebay ...for 10 sheets !!!!
be prepared with uk foam to make some adjustments to the plans ,as it is a bit heavier than dollartree, they tend to be a bit tail heavy .
i built the simple soarer for my first and had to add 4 inches to the nose ,to get the cg right .
good luck with your builds ..

Zeratul

£4.60 is a lot ....i get it for 22.50 off ebay ...for 10 sheets !!!!

Yeh, I know, but a place in Worcester was charging £10 per sheet! But if I only build one plane and I find it's not for me then I've only spent about £9 and not have a load of foam board lying around... Just thought, my wife can claim it back to her business! :)
Thanks for the tip about it being too tail heavy, I'll keep that in mind when building my spitfire.

Snafu

Hey Snafu...Let me know how you get on with the maiden tho.

I finally got out while the wind was minimal this morning - less than successful unfortunately :-( Not sure if i'm not throwing it hard enough, or up enough or not enough upwards angle on the motor, but it wasn't going anywhere but down.

Started with COG @ 25%, went all the way up to 35% - still nose diving. I suspect I need to remake the tail end somewhat larger and with more control surface, as at 525g with a 400g thrust blue wonder it shouldn't be drastically under powered.

Still, we live and learn :)