Hello, new to this hobby

Krecords

Hello, I'm new to this hobby but since I'm starting my second childhood I thought I'd jump in with both feet. I ordered my build kit and controller and batteries etc from the flight test store. Started building my first plane this week. I live out in the boon toolies so when I get it all together I intend to teach myself to fly. I've watched most of the videos so I thought I'd tap into the forum for more good advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_175053577.jpg
    IMG_20200727_175053577.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200730_182139250.jpg
    IMG_20200730_182139250.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums. Good work on the build so far. Straight to the Master Series huh

Its nice to have all that space out in the boonies to fly.

Good luck on the maiden. Take video and post it. Its easier to help us help you develop skills or troubleshoot plane issues if we can see whats goin on.

Krecords

Welcome to the forums. Good work on the build so far. Straight to the Master Series huh

Its nice to have all that space out in the boonies to fly.

Good luck on the maiden. Take video and post it. Its easier to help us help you develop skills or troubleshoot plane issues if we can see whats goin on.

I was enthralled by the build as much as the hobby. I've always loved the look of the Corsair so I started there. I need to learn how to use the controller so I hope I don't crash it too soon.

Wow looks great so far! Welcome friend.
Hopefully it works out right for you from the start. Don't get discouraged!
I'm a builder too. My first attempts were with a plane of my own design, but I had CG & thrust angle issues pretty bad, and it wouldn't fly. I didn't know what I was doing wrong. So I said OK Stop right there - and I designed a quick build on a simple trainer sort of plane. Darn thing flies awesome. Ha ha until you mess things up and put a dent in the field! But now I know it's not the plane, it's me! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thats what i thought too. Took me half a dozen builds before i got something to fly for 30 consecutive seconds. And those were planes like the Tiny Trainer. If you like your build you might want to save it for later and start out with say the Scout

sundown57

Legendary member
Welcome aboard. Grea† build but I highly suggest a simulator long before you try to fly a corsair. Spend time painting and detailing it while you crash cheaper easier builds and learn what you can do on a sim. you can buy a 20-1 dongle and cable for real flight sim for like 18 bucks on eBay. pick up a few sheets of foam board from the dollar store, order up some servos and motors and pick like a 1 day build. that way you don't lose interest spending weeks to build a plane and only get a 5-second flight( if that )

Krecords

Thats what i thought too. Took me half a dozen builds before i got something to fly for 30 consecutive seconds. And those were planes like the Tiny Trainer. If you like your build you might want to save it for later and start out with say the Scout

I was beginning to think that way. I may just take your advice and build a trainer to learn with.

skymaster

Elite member
Welcome and good luck. and must of all have fun. the mistake we all do as a beginner is the we keep the plane close to the ground so when you start make sure you take it way up so that you have time to recover if you loose control, also keep power to where you are comfortable, nice and slow.

P40VRP

Welcome @Krecords to the forum! Your Corsair looks awesome! These guys really know what they're talking about here. I sure wouldn't want you to wrinkle that beauty in the first 20 seconds or so!

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was beginning to think that way. I may just take your advice and build a trainer to learn with.
Ain't no shame in the Scout man, its a warbird, a WW1 warbird. But a warbird nonetheless. Get the beginner curve out of your system on the Scout, or a few Scouts in my case. If you want to see how a warbird flies your next plane should be the FT Spitfire the original one as it is easy to build, fly, and most importantly fix. Another solid plane to play with that flies like a warbird but takes the hits like a pick up truck is the Sportster. You will like how it flies and it can be docile, or you can motor it up and have a decent warbird experience. Check this out...
@Marty72 can attest to this plane as well. He is also a warbird fan but he did build a couple of these Sportsters as well

Krecords

Welcome and good luck. and must of all have fun. the mistake we all do as a beginner is the we keep the plane close to the ground so when you start make sure you take it way up so that you have time to recover if you loose control, also keep power to where you are comfortable, nice and slow.
Thanks great advice! I was planning on flying low the first time.

In the build video there is a brief mention of thrust angle. I think this could have been explained better. My build is going together well, but I'm now worried about whether I have my power train aligned properly. I am having fun with this build. I've made some mistakes and had to back up and redo. I may have to cut the glue and re align the cowling. I did discover I got reverse propellers in my power pack C. I'm in the process of getting that corrected.

P40VRP

Ok so I ordered a scout mini build to learn with. I also bought an Aura 5 lite to go in my F4U master. It's getting closer I've had a few ideas for making it look better. It's a bit wrinkled but this is my first time working with foam.
View attachment 176662 View attachment 176663

Beautiful Corsair and I love the way you have it set up for the photo op!

Don't worry about the wrinkles; just consider them battle scars from combat in the Pacific!

@Krecords how did you do the cowl flaps? They are a nice detail touch!

Krecords

Beautiful Corsair and I love the way you have it set up for the photo op!

Don't worry about the wrinkles; just consider them battle scars from combat in the Pacific!

@Krecords how did you do the cowl flaps? They are a nice detail touch!

The cowl flaps are just slits cut in to the cowl, part of the kit. I kept breaking them off so I hot glued them in place and kept them at a slight angle.

Krecords

OK, I got and built the mini-scout. It would be nice if the industry standardized connectors on all the batteries. I keep having to buy more leads to my charger. I have flown the scout twice, the first time I got it in the air it made a beautiful loop and powered into the ground breaking the propeller. I realized the elevator was not tuned properly and moved the servo gear one notch to get it aligned properly in neutral position. I consider the flight a success as I got the plane off the ground. The next time I flew it for maybe 15 crashes with the propeller getting shorter each time. My 89 year old father said " I'm not riding with you!" then "I'm getting back where I have room to run." Thanks to Monte C. for the sentence "Don't get discouraged." i have thought of that several times as I went to assess the damage.
I did manage one loop around my rural driveway missing a tree and my own head before it crashed. The final crash destroyed the front of the scout and the motor mount foam. I took it in and rebuilt the front of the plane from scrap foam left over on the corsair. I hope I have the thrust angle right. I ordered 6 more propellers and a set of actual wheels for it. This may be a loooong learning process.
On the Corsair build, I printed off a picture of a rotary motor from the internet on card stock. fit it to the plane and the motor mount. and glued it in. It looks great! I printed off a pilot from both left and right sides and one from the front. I printed it on label material. it looks ok but I ordered printable vinyl to try again so it will conform to the curves better.
I managed to fry the aura 5 light I bought while trying different cable connections. Regardless of what the video says, they do not work with nearly every receiver out there. I bought a second in a bundle with a satellite receiver and got it working in the plane. I now own 3 receivers.
I went on vacation for a week and came back to my entire tail section hanging loose on the corsair. I am blaming the cat for trying to jump up on it. He claims he's innocent. I glued it back together, hope it is not to weak at the break now.
I ordered FPV goggles and camera. (I know, i'm getting a bit ahead of myself) Guess what! I need new battery leads for my charger and a new connector to attach the camera. I'm glad I committed myself to this hobby as I'll end up with all the support equipment before I learn to fly! I also recently learned you can buy a ready to fly mini corsair for under $100.00 with controller, receiver, and built in assist functions similar to the aura five! Maybe I should have gone that route? Nah! i'm having too much fun running circles in the learning curve!

I'll get some pictures posted soon.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Your Mini Scout ordeal sounds like mine. I built a few of them just to get flying, and the Speedster, SE5, Sportster, this list goes on. You are on the right track though. I did start out with the Horizon Hobby Sport Cub S with SAFE mode for training. Worked out well and served its purpose. Good Luck