Hello

Hi Guys,

I'm new, I was in the hobby 8 years ago and a huge fan of flitetest. I got out of the hobby when I watched my brand new drone fly off into the sunset on it's own as I didn't check the fail safes before the first flight...

I came across a box of stuff I had left over, LiPo chargers, batteries, radio and fatshark goggles. I'm thinking I may as well try again seeing as I have most of this stuff and it's still basically new. By now the gut punch of watching a month of overtime pay fly off had worn off :censored:

So I think I might build a simple plane or something and try that for a bit, maybe another quadcopter... I've not made my mind up yet. I really liked FPV though.

Thanks

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hi Guys,

I'm new, I was in the hobby 8 years ago and a huge fan of flitetest. I got out of the hobby when I watched my brand new drone fly off into the sunset on it's own as I didn't check the fail safes before the first flight...

I came across a box of stuff I had left over, LiPo chargers, batteries, radio and fatshark goggles. I'm thinking I may as well try again seeing as I have most of this stuff and it's still basically new. By now the gut punch of watching a month of overtime pay fly off had worn off :censored:

So I think I might build a simple plane or something and try that for a bit, maybe another quadcopter... I've not made my mind up yet. I really liked FPV though.

Thanks
i have found the ft old speedster to be an absolutely amazing trainer, i scaled mine up to 130% so i could run on a power packs C, and it cruises along at about 20kmh, at 1/4 throttle... would be a great trainer for fpv to.... slow and steady...... one thing though... it hates wind.... unless your intention is to do 3d maneuvers in a 3ch plane, maneuvers you had no intention to do... such as landing really gently in the top of a tree..... Stay away from our enemies... THE TREES:mad:

i have found the ft old speedster to be an absolutely amazing trainer, i scaled mine up to 130% so i could run on a power packs C, and it cruises along at about 20kmh, at 1/4 throttle... would be a great trainer for fpv to.... slow and steady...... one thing though... it hates wind.... unless your intention is to do 3d maneuvers in a 3ch plane, maneuvers you had no intention to do... such as landing really gently in the top of a tree..... Stay away from our enemies... THE TREES:mad:

Wind might be an issue, I live near the sea in Northern England... The fortunate side of this is I have a pretty much unlimited range as the beach is bloody huge with no trees.

what size motors have you got, on hand?
None, they flew away on the quadcopter I built.

I've got a bunch of LiPo's, probably past their best... A charger for them.

Fat Shark attitude 2's

A Turnigy 9x but a few levers have broken off in storage.

Lots of little connectors and misc electronics.

I do have a 3D printer...

Looking on Google I might order a cinewhoop and a new radio, for now I might just install a simulator and get the feel for things again.

I've not made my mind up on what direction to go, things have probably moved on a lot since the early FPV racing days.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@PsyBorg can help you better... as he has some priceless knowledge of excellent rc equipment in the UK

I could probably help but I have ZERO knowledge of what products are available in the UK. Im in the middle of cow country in New York State on the OTHER side of the pond.

If your wanting to try quads again check this out. Its a great build and has crazy power yet falls under the 250g line of insanity set by most gubments. I had a ball flying that one and have another nearly built as that first one was passed on.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-the-oberon-ob-1-3-inch-quad-evolution.65728/

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I could probably help but I have ZERO knowledge of what products are available in the UK. Im in the middle of cow country in New York State on the OTHER side of the pond.

If your wanting to try quads again check this out. Its a great build and has crazy power yet falls under the 250g line of insanity set by most gubments. I had a ball flying that one and have another nearly built as that first one was passed on.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-the-oberon-ob-1-3-inch-quad-evolution.65728/
ooops... i was thinking of @leaded50 :geek:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks for the help chaps, those bang good links are very useful.

Be careful what you buy off them. Most people by 10 or more servos just to get 3 that actually work on arrival. A lot of their stuff is stolen knock off garbage and you have to think that way and plan when you buy IF you do that.

I say avoid them like a plague. If you are building a quad get mid level name brand gear and fly reliably every time and not have to worry about your gear igniting mid air.

Que all the banggooders.....

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

More and more I'm leaning towards picking up a 3" quad...Might have to take a look at this thread and go that route. :)

Only problem I'm seeing more and more with quads is that everyone wants a DJI quad without really knowing the limitations, and lose interest when they realize they can't do the crazy balls to the walls acro stuff a freestyle or racing quad can do. So, because of that, it's getting harder and harder to get stuff. Everything racing quad related seems to be going to FrSky or TBS, and I'm loathe to carry another transmitter just to be able to fly newer quads.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Be careful what you buy off them. Most people by 10 or more servos just to get 3 that actually work on arrival. A lot of their stuff is stolen knock off garbage and you have to think that way and plan when you buy IF you do that.

I say avoid them like a plague. If you are building a quad get mid level name brand gear and fly reliably every time and not have to worry about your gear igniting mid air.

Que all the banggooders.....
im sorry but i argue with that greatly.
Banggood only sells their own products, and they all work, if there is even 1 that doesnt work they immediately, send a replcement with a fast shipping, or refund your money, they are very helpful, and their customer service is amazing.
if there is one online store that you should be careful on, its ebay.... many many scams on ebay....
banggood is 100% Trustworthy

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
More and more I'm leaning towards picking up a 3" quad...Might have to take a look at this thread and go that route. :)

Only problem I'm seeing more and more with quads is that everyone wants a DJI quad without really knowing the limitations, and lose interest when they realize they can't do the crazy balls to the walls acro stuff a freestyle or racing quad can do. So, because of that, it's getting harder and harder to get stuff. Everything racing quad related seems to be going to FrSky or TBS, and I'm loathe to carry another transmitter just to be able to fly newer quads.
get a Radiomaster... 1 radio to rule them all;)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

You can build a quad and put any receiver in it that matches your radio. Thats a non issue when you build your own stuff.

I still only have an X9D plus. I got the 4 in one module for it so I could fly other things or at the very least be able to connect to and help other trouble shoot their gear. Every thing I get for quads is from Racedayquads. Tyler has done the hobby good with the service, parts availability and the fact he has taken on a legal fight with the FAA over the crap out of his own pocket with support from donations. Ill back that EVERY day without a second thought. I don't care if prices are higher then banggood. I get name brand stuff I KNOW works reliably and safely.

Banggood only sells their own products, and they all work, if there is even 1 that doesnt work they immediately, send a replcement with a fast shipping, or refund your money, they are very helpful, and their customer service is amazing.
if there is one online store that you should be careful on, its ebay.... many many scams on ebay....

Well my friend you are one of the lucky few. There are MANY threads here telling banggood night mare stories as well as people who will use it but order 10 to 25 servos at a time because the super high dead on arrival / fail rate. As far as banggood selling their own products ya might wanna take a gander at their planes as they sell an EXACT knock off of one of Flite Tests models made with the crappiest of Styrofoam that shatters in a heavy breeze. There is also a tread here about that. As long as you are happy all is good. I don't care who buys what from where really but I do have issue about not informing people of possible hurdles. In the end they / you have to make your own decisions.

I figured out not to buy from them just by the name... The only thing missing is a "U" in the spelling.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

:unsure: that doesn't seem to match the experiences I have seen by others. (ebay scams yes, banggood being 100% trustworthy is very questiononable. I don't even consider major US shopping centers to be 100% trustworthy, something that has to ship across the sea, less so)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
As for digital systems.. WAYYYYY to early in development to bother. Just the fact these systems take over 2 channels in an 8 channel band to work should tell you its not ready for main stream yet. With the newer 1/2 sensor cameras and the ability to learn how they work and not just cookie cutter someone elses crappy settings you can get as clear or better then digital. Its just not as high resolution.

With the run cam phoenix 2 I use I have ZERO issues seeing scraggle and not only that I fly IN trees now with the tiny quad. Branches are a non issues. Granted dvr has a long way to go before you can display that clarity on line but I promise you you can see perfectly if you use your head and dial in the settings and not copy someone else or use the presets that to this freakin day are all STILL based on indoor camera settings..

This is that build I linked taken during the tuning phase. Notice how windy that day was and remember this in just a 3 inch quad.