Newby after 30+ year break... think I figured out a Spektrum DX6e programming/bind mistake I made, that could help others.

CreekFlyer

Purchased a Turbo Tutor Value Bundle as a Christmas present to myself. Also purchased a DX6e transmitter with an AR620-6 Sport receiver. (Not messing with the Turbo Wing until I'm proficient with flying the trainer wing w/ ailerons.) The build went okay, just watching the build videos over and over again. There are areas that I think needed more detail. Someone mentioned you can download printed build plans for this model... Where do I find those?
Anyway, I initially bound the Tx and Rx with no issues and completed all the mixes as recommended and everything worked fine. Later I decided to assign "Throttle Cut-out" to the Tx "A" toggle switch. I accepted the -134% value that was already there. Everything worked fine. The next day I went out to do some take-offs and immediate landings as recommended in the training series videos. To be "safe" when I turned on the Tx, I flipped up that toggle switch and then connected the battery to the Rx and everything seemed fine. After throttling up and doing short take off and land hop in the yard, the FT basic 30a ESC started pulsing a tone thru the motor. It was a "beep...beep...beep..." followed by a short pause then repeated until I unplugged the battery supply.

After searching and searching for an answer to no avail, I finally realized that it must be because I had that "A" toggle switch in the "Throttle Cut-out" position when I "bound" the Rx. I went back into value portion of that toggle switch and changed it to "-100%". I then made sure that switch was in the "Off" position when I "re-bound" the TX and RX and the beeping tone issue was resolved. Not sure if my -100% value is correct, but I had what I consider to be two fairly successful "first" flights yesterday. The new electronics in this hobby are just amazing (and a bit confusing), for people like me who've been out of it for over 30 years. My issue may be a no-brainer to most of you, but maybe it will help another newbie like myself.

Very excited about learning more and having fun with this "new" old hobby! Cheers!!

Bricks

Master member
Good job of getting it figured out, when binding any receiver be at least 5-6 feet away or what I do is put my body between the receiver and transmitter. If too close what happens it floods the receiver front end and can cause these types of issues. Did you calibrate the ESC especially after changing the end points of your throttle channel?

CreekFlyer

Thank you. I'm really not sure how to calibrate the ESC. I think I did it when I initially bound the new Tx, to the new Rx, but not sure what else I should be doing.

CreekFlyer

Good job of getting it figured out, when binding any receiver be at least 5-6 feet away or what I do is put my body between the receiver and transmitter. If too close what happens it floods the receiver front end and can cause these types of issues. Did you calibrate the ESC especially after changing the end points of your throttle channel?
Sorry Bricks, I didn't do that reply correctly... Another Newbie mistake. Lol!

luvmy40

Elite member
Calibrating the ESC is super simple. After you have gone the through the binding procedure, power the receiver off, put your throttle stick to full throttle, with the Xmitter ON, power on the receiver. Then lightly bring the throttle stick to zero throttle. Your ESC should calibrate and signal ready. It's best to do this with the prop removed.

CreekFlyer

Calibrating the ESC is super simple. After you have gone the through the binding procedure, power the receiver off, put your throttle stick to full throttle, with the Xmitter ON, power on the receiver. Then lightly bring the throttle stick to zero throttle. Your ESC should calibrate and signal ready. It's best to do this with the prop removed.
Thank you! I'll do that. 👍🏼👍🏼