Help for my FT Delta

TheScarletTomato

Hey FT forums,

I need help with my FT delta. I have flown it but it is majorly under powered. The best I got was a 6' high, 50 yard straight line flight. I have a 2 cell batter, this motor, and a 20a speed control. I am flying with a turnigy 9x. The plane weighs 13.5 oz or 320 grams. Can anyone offer any sugustions. My only thought right now would be to try it with a 3 cell.

Thanks
TheScarletTomato

eagle4

What size prop are you using? How many mah is your 2 cell? I flew a bloody wonder on a 2 cell with that motor and it flew fine. Obviously you get more punch from a 3 cell. Without knowing your prop I'm not sure.

RoyBro

Mentor
To fly with a 2s battery, you'll probably need at least a 9x4.7 prop. If you're running an 8x6 prop you'll need a 3s battery. The 3s and 8x6 combination was a bit too quick for my limited experience, so I dropped to a 2s and it barely got off the ground. So I put a 9x4.7 prop on it and got some nice slow flights out of it before sticking it in a tree.

I got the idea of switching to a larger prop from the Old Fogey review.

Last edited:

TheScarletTomato

I can try that. I think I will try both combinations. The FT crew suggust to fly the plane with the 2c I'm using or this 3c. Do you think that one will work.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you switch to 3s, or change your prop for a bit more pull (9x6 or 8x4), It'll pull a flyer around just fine.

If that doesn't help, you've got a problem in your power system. If the parts are inbound, (or a quick trip to the LHS away), try them out first -- best to troubleshoot a power system when you know everything should work.

RoyBro

Mentor
I can try that. I think I will try both combinations. The FT crew suggust to fly the plane with the 2c I'm using or this 3c. Do you think that one will work.
Sure. What is important is the number of cells determines the voltage. I believe the motor you're running is a 1200 KV or 1200 rpm per volt. So running a 3s battery will turn the prop faster than a 2s.
The mAh basically translates into how long you can fly. Bigger mAh means longer flight times. But it also means more weight. Which is why it's a good idea to stick to recommend battery sizes regardless of the number of cells.
The 8x6 prop has a bigger pitch "6" than the 9x4.7 even though it is shorter. It will take a bigger bite out of the air per revolution, making it better for faster flight.