Help Needed: Old 1/4 scale cub plans

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
So a lady approached us while flying asking if any of us wanted an old damaged plane her husband had.
4D365F96-8420-41E7-B580-9E9849E4F037.jpeg
For the most part its structurally sound from what I can tell with minor fixes to do to the wings and fuselage. However the tail has seen better days.
A6C5C236-9858-4990-97DA-F27F2B31FC81.jpeg
I was hoping one of you guys could help identify who made this plane back in the day so I can find plans to rebuild the tail. Its a 1/4 scale (105”) J3 Cub

OliverW

Legendary member
So a lady approached us while flying asking if any of us wanted an old damaged plane her husband had. View attachment 178236 For the most part its structurally sound from what I can tell with minor fixes to do to the wings and fuselage. However the tail has seen better days. View attachment 178237 I was hoping one of you guys could help identify who made this plane back in the day so I can find plans to rebuild the tail. Its a 1/4 scale (105”) J3 Cub
Its either the sig or balsa USA cub I imagine

Chuppster

If I were you, I would take the covering off the tail and glue it back together (very carefully). This way you won't need to rebuild the tail!

If we could see inside the fuselage that would help us ID what you've got.

Piotrsko

Master member
It's a Cub, not some exotic one off. Pretty much anything scaled up or down to the proper size using the print services at the local office supplier is going to be good enough.

SavageX89

You lucky duck! that looks like and awesome project!
you can always look at outerzone.co.uk for plans. with some trial and error, you should be able to find some plans to help you out.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Sig Cub also was available as a clipped wing, which was often built as a single piece. The full wing version could also be built as a single wing, although it's huge and a paint to transport. It's not a Balsa USA, as that is structurally different and the top of the cabin (where the wings attach) isn't open when wings are off like this plane is.

The wire supports that come up between the front A-pillars indicates Sig, which I don't think was structural in the Balsa USA kit. Usually those two wires come together at the top and mate to the wing (when attached) as a single piece, but it's possible the builder of this plane did it his own way.

My money is on Sig at this time. A couple more pictures of the inside would help nail it down for sure. If it is Sig, all parts, plans, etc. are still available, and it's a great flying kit when built properly.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
So a lady approached us while flying asking if any of us wanted an old damaged plane her husband had. For the most part its structurally sound from what I can tell with minor fixes to do to the wings and fuselage. However the tail has seen better days. as hoping one of you guys could help identify who made this plane back in the day so I can find plans to rebuild the tail. Its a 1/4 scale (105”) J3 Cub

You could always uncover the bits that are broken, like the tail, and use the good half as a template. Trace it out onto some paper, instant build plan for the new piece.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
You could always uncover the bits that are broken, like the tail, and use the good half as a template. Trace it out onto some paper, instant build plan for the new piece.
Thats my plan but the tail is encased in a whole box that bolts on and Idk if I can reverse engineer that. Ill figure it out

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
ever get it fixed? and flying?
Still in limbo, in college rn and had a bunch of my rc stuff stolen but progress has been made. Still trying to decide on powerplant and how to modify the wing to accept a carbon spar. Last I remember I was planning a DLE 30

wrecker

Still in limbo, in college rn and had a bunch of my rc stuff stolen but progress has been made. Still trying to decide on powerplant and how to modify the wing to accept a carbon spar. Last I remember I was planning a DLE 30
in a few days I'll be done with my blue prints for the balsa USA 1/4 cub... if I remember right the wings are pretty similar build as the sig construction if it's of an help

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
in a few days I'll be done with my blue prints for the balsa USA 1/4 cub... if I remember right the wings are pretty similar build as the sig construction if it's of an help
More or less its just how I plan on splitting the wing and drilling the hole for a spar