Help! Where do I put the fuel tank!

Flyingninja

So I will start building my first gas plane soon! Just a basic SPAD. Something like this:

SPAD.jpg
A really nice rc club member is just giving me an engine!

So where do I put the fuel tank? Fuel is not like lipos, that stay the same weight. My gut feeling is to put it on the cg and balance the plane without fuel. Is this correct?

Thanks
Flyingninja:cool:

JDWells

On my nitro plane (which I've never flown and is all beat up so it may never fly) it's right up front behind the firewall. I don't know much about gas planes and this one was going to be my first attempt. It's an old Modeltech Magic for what that's worth.

Mytmerc83

I'm no expert on gas but the two I have both fuel tanks are in the very front right behind the firewall. Fuel(the liquid) is very light in comparison to lipo's and other things. Setting the tank as close to the motor is best due to the draw/pressure type fuel system. Hope this helps.

On my nitro plane (which I've never flown and is all beat up so it may never fly) it's right up front behind the firewall. I don't know much about gas planes and this one was going to be my first attempt. It's an old Modeltech Magic for what that's worth.

Not to hijack, but the Magic is a hoot to fly! I have one, and it's never dull!

Mytmerc83

I don't know that you'll find a bung to fit a bottle? And not many glues stand up to gas or nitro. The system needs to hold pressure to feed the fuel to the carb. The fuel system is the one place you want to make sure is in good working order. Dead stick sucks!!! Tanks are fairly cheap!!

jamboree1

Only certain types of plastics hold up to fuel, most fuel tanks are made from a polypropylene or a variant of. You really are best off getting an actual fuel tank.