Help with electric motor and esc setup

SidneyKi

Hello,
I am new to electric airplane. I purchase the big package for the ft flyers at lazertoys.
I am trying to connect all electronics up to test before installing it in the power pod.
I have lazertoys 10ax brushless esc, 3 cell battery, 10a esc, hobby king 6 channel receiver hk tr64 v2, hobby king 6 channel radio hk-t6a v2., 9 gram servo.

I'm am not able to get the motor to turn on. I am able to have servo on ch1 that does responds with the right side of controller. The radio and receiver is bind together as far as I can tell with the setup instructions I went through.

Can someone explain why the motor does not respond?

Attach is a photo of the electronics setup.

Thank you
Sidney

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44

Tactical Ex

First, your ESC is connected to your Receiver by the BAT port which is not right. Refer to the manual for where to put the throttle channel, it is probably Ch3.

Once that is done, try the following ...

1. Connect everything but the battery
2. Turn on your Transmitter
3. move your throttle to the 100% position
4. Plug your battery in
5. move your throttle to the 0% position
6. Unplug your battery
7. Turn off your Transmitter
8. Turn on your Transmitter
9. plug your battery in
10. Test and see if the motor turns

Note: Also, make sure the bullet connectors between the ESC and the motor are not touching each other! They look exposed in the picture!

Last edited:

SidneyKi

A+ to Tactical Ex! That worked:)

At first it did not work but I moved the left toggle witch sw.B on the radio and motor came on but would not turn completely off.
So I went through your instructions again and it now works correctly.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
What you've just done is called "calibrating the ESC". You need to do that every time you put a new motor to an ESC.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
What you've just done is called "calibrating the ESC". You need to do that every time you put a new motor to an ESC.

Not true! The motor has nothing to do with esc calibration. Esc calibration sets the Pulse limits (upper and lower) that the Transmitter outputs to the ESC. Then the ESC know's what pulse rate is full throttle and what pulse rate is zero throttle.
Technically you only need to Calibrate the esc's once with a Transmitter Receiver pair. In real life though ESC's calibration can drift with temperature unless the ESC has an on board Oscillator.

Thurmond

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Hm. Thanks for clearing that up. I was told the ESC needs to "learn" about the motor properties. But your explanation is a lot more reasonable since the motor doesn't spin up on ESC calibration.

Tactical Ex

A+ to Tactical Ex! That worked:)

At first it did not work but I moved the left toggle witch sw.B on the radio and motor came on but would not turn completely off.
So I went through your instructions again and it now works correctly.

Thank you.

Awesome! Glad it worked out.

SteevyT

Technically you only need to Calibrate the esc's once with a Transmitter Receiver pair.

This seems to depend on the ESC, the one that I use has to be calibrated every startup. Luckily it's easy to do, start with throttle off wait for beeps, move to full wait for beeps, move to off wait for beeps and ready to go.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
This seems to depend on the ESC, the one that I use has to be calibrated every startup. Luckily it's easy to do, start with throttle off wait for beeps, move to full wait for beeps, move to off wait for beeps and ready to go.

As usual there are exceptions to most rules. :)

Thurmond