Help with Versa Wing please!

Johntaylor

Im still new with RC planes and I have no help where I live. I learn from the internet. I started building with Balsa and crashed all my planes (expensive) so I came across Flite Test. I build the Ft trainer and the Versa Wing but I can't seem to get one in the air? They just dive straight into the ground. The CG is correct! I can fly, not a pro but I have a foam Cesna that flies great! :)

I want to fly the wing so much! Please help me figure out what the problem might be. Ive got the feeling its to heavy!?
On the plan it say that without the battery it should weigh about 300g,mine weigh about 450g with the motor ESC and reciever.
With the battery and extra fishing weights in the nose (to correct the CG) it weight is 850g!

I fitted a 2200kv motor with a 8x6 prop, a 40 ESC and a 3 cell battery. (pusher)
Throws is set to 30%. The prop is about 1cm away from the body.

Any advise please! I hope I gave you all the detail? Thank you!!

IMG_20160508_091844.jpg
IMG_20160508_091901.jpg
IMG_20160508_092106.jpg
IMG_20160508_092011.jpg

Last edited:

xMeox

the prop is mounted backwards ;) the written stuff must point forward, not backwards. after you switched it, check if it is spinning in the right direction. If not, switch any two of the three wires connecting the speed controller to the motor.
good luck with the next try! never give up :)

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Welcome to the forums.

Stick with it and don't get discouraged.

Your 8x6 prop might be too much for that motor. I think the specs for the motor you have shown there say 7x3.5 prop on 3S. Plus the backward prop was not helping. You will also want to make sure that your elevons are 6 degrees up when the sticks are centered (reflex). The reflex helps with the nose dive. My first few Versa Wing launches went right in nose first, then I remembered to add the reflex.

Johntaylor

Thank you Tommy! Kind words, I'll keep on trying. Sometimes I really feel like giving up. But I will battle until I fly it!