Hey, what's that in the background?

reracer

The FT crew are such teases. Looks like there's a Rutan Vari Viggen style plane in the background of the new servo video. What's up with that?!?!?!?!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
That's the FT Shinden. They have talked about it in the past they are still perfecting the design.

That's the FT Shinden. They have talked about it in the past they are still perfecting the design.

man... these guys need a pyrotechnician they can call. pouring powder into a core burner rocket like that is a horrible idea. if anyone from the staff reads this i've been in pyrotechnics most of my life, call me before you do something like that again... i can tell you how to make it work.

for future reference...

end burner rockets are just rammed into a tube and you light the end... sometimes that thrust gets directed through a nozzle like in some of those estes rockets. those are what your typical model rocket ignitors are designed for.

the second motor you tried to use was whats known as a core burner... it has more surface area than an end burner therefore it produces a lot more thrust, but it's usually shorter duration because more of it is burning. to initiate the core burner properly, you don't really need to worry all that much about lighting it all with a fuse. the output from any part of the core catching fire will passfire to the rest of it.

a simple fuse would have worked, just make sure it's at least halfway in the core and pinch a "V" in the fuse so it will go in but won't fall out all that easy. you should try to use the gray paper fuse found in packs of firecrackers and not the thick green "visco" fuse you find on a mortar shell. the paper fuse will burn quick and will have less likelyhood to choke the thrust (= BOOM) inside the core once it initiates.

seriously... if you guys on the show have any questions at all PM me for my phone number. happy to help.