Hi All ~ First Post

Hey fellas. I have been studying this aviation nonsense for some time and have decided that I want to take a crack at it. I placed an order for the Bat Bone and all the trimmings for the V Tail build. Since I am new at this, I am hunting down all the info I can get and it is like trying to take a small sip - from a fire hydrant! There is just so much info out there and so many rabbit holes to go down - that I am getting lost and side tracked constantly.

This is my first build - is there a comprehensive COMPLETE parts list? I saw the excellent vid and article by Dave and that is all fine and dandy... but I need ALL the parts spelled out for me for the first vid. Could any of you fellas fill in the blanks left by our hosts? I know enough to be dangerous but I would rather not guess on components if I don't have to.

Your two cents is sincerely appreciated.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Hi Glenfilthie,

welcome to the forum :)

First things first: When building models you will never have all the parts you need on the first try. It's like going in a home improvement store, coming back and noticing that you forgot the screws, go back, buy, come home and realize the battery of your electric screwdriver is broken...

I haven't build a Bat Bone, but I can give you a few hints on general quads:

• basic frame
  • arms (and replacement-arms)
  • self-adhesive velcro
  • zip-ties in different length and widths
  • probably additional wires (not sure about the sizes, I just use what I have available)
  • solder
  • shrink wrap
  • (3.5mm bullet connectors if you want to be able to disconnect motors)
  • XT60 battery connector
  • LiPo battery
  • 4 motors
  • 4 ESCs with enough amps to drive the motors, if possible with SimonK firmware
  • 4 props
  • a trillion more props

Probably the most common setup is 8x4.5" props, motors in the 1000kv area, 20-30 A ESCs and a 2200 mAh LiPo.

Thanks Balu!!!

I think I can do this - I am fully expecting a fiasco and possibly a spectacular crash on my first build so if I get in the air - it's a bonus!

:)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
My two pennies worth of advice is to maybe buy a small micro quad to learn on instead of a 450 sized multirotor. It'll save you money and effort in the long run. They are cheap and you can expect that crashes won't leave them in pieces.

Save the vtail/batbone build for once you gain the experience. As you said, you can take sips from the firehose... just choose one that's smaller and with low pressure!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
My two pennies worth of advice is to maybe buy a small micro quad to learn on instead of a 450 sized multirotor. It'll save you money and effort in the long run. They are cheap and you can expect that crashes won't leave them in pieces.

Save the vtail/batbone build for once you gain the experience. As you said, you can take sips from the firehose... just choose one that's smaller and with low pressure!

My son and I just picked up some Blade Nano QX's for $70/each. Worth every penny for me. I've crashed my dozens of times already and have had no damage whatsoever. The SAFE mode is great for a multirotor noob like myself.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I think I can do this - I am fully expecting a fiasco and possibly a spectacular crash on my first build so if I get in the air - it's a bonus!

:)

Well, we all know exactly what you are talking about =). And if you run into problems, we are here to help you get in the air.

I am working on a Dromeda Ominus right now. I can hover, 'walk the dog' and am slowly beginning to fly patterns so by the time I get this thing together I should have the basic reflexes to handle it - I hope. I dunno if the Dromeda is any good - I went outdoors with it and I don't think it handles wind all that well or cold. (I am in Alberta and it was -21 C...probably more with the windchill) so the batteries didn't last long.

I need something powerful enough to buck the breezes and I don't think my current ride will do that.

Balu - on the V-tail...are the props on the V Tail set up to pull air up or push it down? Also, do you know if the KK2.1 can be configured for V-tails? I was on the Hobbyking website and it didn't come up in the product description. Another question - does a power breakout cable do the same thing as a power distribution board?

earthsciteach

Hey, Glenfilthie!

The Ominus is really good from what I hear. I'd like to get one, myself. -21 C is fit for NO battery! LOL!

Take this with a grain of salt, of course, but I've had nothing but misery with the KK2.1 boards. Since going with a Flip 1.5, my life with multi rotors has been great. Could merely be a personality conflict with myself and the KK, though. I still have an inkling to slap one of mine that's currently laying around on the tri or hex frames I have.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks EST!

I know all about personality conflict with microprocessors and have run into more than a few that hate my guts. A good shot with a ball peen hammer is sometimes the best bet.... :)