Hi, I'm new but I hope to help!

Fly4MORE

Hi! I've been wanting to start flying for a very long time, but only at the end of 2017 did I finally invest in what I needed. I'll admit, it's been a slow, hard start, and I've only flown a few UMX planes. However, I've been working on a FT storch that I hope to have flying in spring! Even before I started, FliteTest has been very helpful to me and I'm joining the forums with the hope to help others going through the learning curve that marks the beginning of each step in the hobby so difficult.

I fly in in a state of the east coast of the United States of America either in my neighborhood's park (Yes, this is legal with small stuff at the moment) and at with our local R/C flying club that has a site on borrowed land.

My first word of advice: don't fly your first semi-delicate wing in the winter. (because the ground is very hard and LiPo's are less efficient, and a few other reasons)

Second question: What is good for landing gear wire on the larger FT models, specifically the FT Storch?

My current hanger: Dromida Voyager (torn to pieces, but taught many people,) E-Flite UMX pt-17, a bunch of simple quadcopters, Pheonix flight sim (If that counts,) A non-flight-worthy FT Storch, and a FT Versa Wing (that I don't trust myself to fly)
My in-progress projects: Another FT Storch (Have plans printed and most supplies,) an FT mustang (I'm a bit scared to start on this build at my level)

Good luck to everyone beginning and experienced! :)

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Also, my first question: Are forum (this website's) accounts different from accounts on the main flitetest website? Thanks.

Welcome! The forum, the store and the articles are all different accounts. Good luck with your Storch!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello F4M,

I like your attitude and look forward to seeing your progress. Where in the world do you fly? How did you get into the hobby? Which UMX planes do you have and which is your favorite?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Fly4MORE

Hello F4M,

I like your attitude and look forward to seeing your progress. Where in the world do you fly? How did you get into the hobby? Which UMX planes do you have and which is your favorite?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

To answer your questions, I fly in a state off the east coast of the U.S. I should admit, by UMX I meant micro, but I hope to get more UMXs sometime. I have the Dromida Voyager (My second) which I trained my self and a number of my friends on (Hence its current state of: small pieces) and the E-flite UMX pt-17(my third.) They both served their purpose well, and while the pt-17 is better quality and more fun at my current level, the voyager was on sale and has been more important to me.

Now, the hard question everyone asks, "How did you get into the hobby." I have no idea when it started, but I've wanted to get into the hobby for a very long time. This was all in the time when FM ~700mhz radios were still common, and I guess the first thing I got was a toy grade helicopter that I would take back and replace at the toy store every time it broke. Maybe a year after that cycle ended, I got the traxxas stampede (Standard, FM radio, and, yes, a truck.) This was because trucks seamed to be much better value than planes that I might not even be able to fly in an average house's yard. My first airplane was the Firebird Commander 2. I got it for a sale price, but I had problems with it. 2ch, I thought, was crazy! I flew it at a elementary school from time to time, but either the wing or the propeller broke a lot! After this, I mostly went without rc flight except for the Firebird a few times a year. Then, over the last year, my interest in flight skyrocketed and I couldn't ignore it anymore. I bought/got a bunch of RC and full scale simulators and spent a lot of time learning all I could, and, finally, I got that Dromida Voyager, and here I am...

Thanks for the suggestion epilson, I intend to do this when I figure out how and have some real-world landing experience.

Last edited: