Hidden servos and control horns for flight control

LukeJ

I always see rc planes with servos (responsible for flight control) and control horns sticking out of it and it looks bad. Is there any way to make the servos and control horns hidden? Can somone please send a picture or video? Thanks!

Bricks

Master member
I always see rc planes with servos (responsible for flight control) and control horns sticking out of it and it looks bad. Is there any way to make the servos and control horns hidden? Can somone please send a picture or video? Thanks!

Sure as you have seen above it can be done but is a bunch of extra work for scale balsa builds worth it but for foamies to me not so much.

Thomas B

Google is your friend.

Worth noting that adjustments and maintenance can be tougher with fully hidden pushrods and control horns.

Fairly easy to hide servos, but hiding them in the fuse can lead to longer and heavier pushrods.

I only bother to do any servo or linkage hiding this on certain scale model projects.

quorneng

Master member
A short video of an aileron with no horn, link rod or torque rod.
The micro servo is buried within the wing close to the trailing edge.
DirectServo.JPG

The inboard edge of the aileron is fixed directly to the servo arm thus the servo itself acts as the inner hinge.
The outer end of the aileron has a 'pin' hinge.
The result is mechanically very efficient with virtually no friction meaning the tiny 3.7 g servo is more than adequate to operate the aileron for 40" (1220 mm) span 21 oz (600 g) plane.
It was not done for appearance but for aerodynamic efficiency and in conjunction with other features resulted in a plane with a very low power consumption.

eric75

I'm not sure how concealed you want. I really like how the servos turned out on this plane.
-Servos were installed before folding the wing closed
-Trace around servo and remove inner paper and foam for secure fit around servo.
-Area reinforced with packing tape.
-Attach the control horn to the servo and put a spot of hot glue on the screw head.
-Secure the servo with hot glue. Focus the glue at the edges to help prevent delamination and help the case take up some of the load from the foam.
Gift card (or hotel room key) control horn with linkage stopper for final adjustment. You could get away with just "Z" bends and electronic trim if you don't need a lot of travel.

20200827_220913.jpg
20200827_221011.jpg
20200827_221000.jpg

Next one I do, I will probably glue the servo to the upper wing skin so the servo control horn can sink a little deeper into the wing.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes - I've done it before. It requires a bit of extra work but if you're going for scale looks it's possible. I'll get some pictures later on.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Google is your friend.

Worth noting that adjustments and maintenance can be tougher with fully hidden pushrods and control horns.

Fairly easy to hide servos, but hiding them in the fuse can lead to longer and heavier pushrods.

I only bother to do any servo or linkage hiding this on certain scale model projects.

Google is nobodys friend. It is a tool run by a corporate entity we use as a resourse.

That all said we tend to use a more personal approach to advice here. The goal being to answer a question and is NEVER "just google it". Thats what sets these forums apart from other less friendly forums and face book.