Hobby King and the KK2

Loc8tor

Yeah. I want to see if the spins will stop. I didn't even know it corrected for yaw. Because, I'd have slow turns i'd have to trim out. They were probably too slow to trigger the gyro. I was thinking that if the receiver did it. All, I'd have to do it trim out a gentle spin. But, if the wind blew the tail over it couldn't correct it. I wonder if it did anything before or if I should change the yaw p i gain to get it to react more. Grrrrrr. I shouldn't have waited til fall to build it. I'd have had all summer to do my changes and test. I also have to see why when I'm about 150 feet it just randomly will go into a 45 degree angle right and go until it hits something. No input will save it. I had my antenna kinda coiled up in the body of the tricopter. I'm hoping that was my issue. Now i have my antenna straight up about 6 inches and the little stubby short antenna 90 degrees to that. still have to see if it does the fatal dive still. Thanks agian for your help.

Loc8tor

ok. Yaw works. did my test flight. New issue now. When, I throttle up the copter rears back the front lifts quickly and the copter moves backwards quickly. also when I try to do a spin it doesn't sit in it's spot and spin it starts to drift back and by the time I'm all the way around it's moving fairly fast in whatever direction it's drifted. Please let that make sense. my biggest concern at the moment is this rearing up like horse throwing it's rider. Any help?

Loc8tor

I trim mine from my radio. Pitch forward trim is needed in your situation. :)

Thurmond

If i did that the thing would constantly fly forward. This only happens when throttling up while already hovering. Its a major rear up. Its definitely not a trim issue. But, thank you. Any other suggestions?

Liemavick

Mentor
Try recalibrating your ESC's via the "hold two outside buttons down" method on the KK2.

Im late to the party, but Im assuming you already programmed your ESC's to identical settings?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Check CG and check your elevator subtrims. Make sure you are not tail heavy. CG should be just forward of the KK2 LCD screen.

If CG and subtrims are correct pitch forward trim is what you want. The issue is not only happening when you throttle up. The issue with you trying to spin and the copter drifting backward and off balance is caused by the same problem.

If you are flying with autolevel on, the KK2 is pushing the stick forward for you and you don't even know it.

I suspect you have a CG issue that is causing your KK2 to work the tail motor much harder than the front motors. When you mash the throttle the two front motors have more available to give, causing the tail to drop. Likewise, when you spin, the tail rotor on a tri has to spin faster to offset the tilt you just gave it. If the tail motor is already maxing out due to a CG issue causing it to lift too much of the load, the tail will dip when you spin, causing you to spin offcenter and getting you that gut wrenching feeling as your copter heads toward your wife's rosebushes.

Last edited:

Loc8tor

I dont know what elevator subtrims are. I will try moving the battery forward more. Ive never had this issue before. Ive had that battery all over. This is new. I did change my channel 4 in the mixer editor to -100 to get the board to see the correct input. If that helps any. What about I gain i changed that a little under elevator just to learn what it does. But dont remember my original setting. Thank you for the help.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I dont know what elevator subtrims are. I will try moving the battery forward more. Ive never had this issue before. Ive had that battery all over. This is new. I did change my channel 4 in the mixer editor to -100 to get the board to see the correct input. If that helps any. What about I gain i changed that a little under elevator just to learn what it does. But dont remember my original setting. Thank you for the help.
The subtrims are programmed in the radio. If it's pitching only under acceleration, and the CG is right, you need to do some more tweaking in the mixer editor on the board. Channel 4 is the servo for the tail tilt and needs to stay where it is. Go to channel 3 in the mixer editor and bump the throttle number up by 5 or 10 points to 105 or 110 and see if that helps the lead weight in the a$$ syndrome.

Loc8tor

The subtrims are programmed in the radio. If it's pitching only under acceleration, and the CG is right, you need to do some more tweaking in the mixer editor on the board. Channel 4 is the servo for the tail tilt and needs to stay where it is. Go to channel 3 in the mixer editor and bump the throttle number up by 5 or 10 points to 105 or 110 and see if that helps the lead weight in the a$$ syndrome.
Im not a pro by any means. I just dont think this is a cg or weight issue.
I have flown the copter many times. All ive changed is the yaw mechanism. The position of the batt. Has not changed. I did attach motors with zip ties and took the flite test mounts off. Ill see if im getting friction on bottom of the shaft. I have some testing to do.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Changing the mounts can have an effect. Plus, on the rear, any change is noticed more since it's a single motor. First thing is just verify the CG is right. Once that is done we can move on...
One way to test throttle response is to put it in a hover and gun the throttle very briefly. If the tail drops while it's climbing, you need to make the change I detailed above. David had shown how to tune in this manner in one of his tricopter videos but I don't remember which one...I'll see if I can find it.

Loc8tor

Thats exactly what i was doing and the front came up and the copter shot backwards. How can i test cg without flying?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ok, I found the video. He's setting up a v-tail but the principles on changes in the mixer editor are the same. I think he's made a mistake in what he says about changing the editor when the tail drops as he already set the tail down to 100 when he was inside doing the setup. Try taking throttle both up and down on channel 3 in the mixer editor and see what works best. I might be the one thinking backwards on this one.
He starts flight tuning at around 13:30.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thats exactly what i was doing and the front came up and the copter shot backwards. How can i test cg without flying?
Just hold the copter and see where the front to rear balance point is. It needs to be around the LCD screen on the KK2 board. Adjust the battery to make it balance there.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I balance my copter (with the battery on) on the back of a chair. You will learn a lot about your building skills and your copter when you do.